Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Covers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Covers?

Hi All

I know its just August and a bit early but I tend to plan ahead. This is my 1st year with a AG pool and was wanting to know your opions on winter covers. I've read and read post after post by doing a search and here's what I'm sure of:

1. I'm going to try a leaf net over the cover as we are surrounded by a lot of trees
    2. I think I'm gonig to go with a pillow to keep water from accumulating in the middle of the cover
    3. I'm going to hire the setup team to teach me how to properly close my pool as I have a zillion questions

Here's where I'm not sure:

Mesh cover that allows the rain to seep thru the cover into the pool OR
    solid cover that I need to periodlically pump water off of

seems like with mesh you'd end up with very dirty pool water and can you get too much water in the pool?

Pumping water off a solid cover seems like a pain in the cold plus an added expense of buying a pump

that said - any recommedations on a decent, fairly priced (not overpriced) cover?

Thanks all!
    Chris

*not sure where my signature info is, so

24' AG
    sand filter
    installed June 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Winter Covers?

For my winter cover I use one that has a mesh strip down the middle of it. I also use a leaf net.
    That type of winter cover eliminates having to pump the water off. It doesn't make the water dirty. It may let some silt get by, but nothing that can't be cleaned up with a vacuum in the spring. I also use an aquador over my skimmer opening for the winter. If the water level gets too high in the pool I just drain some off.
    As for closing I use the aquador and plug the return. I pull the pump and filter when the water temp gets to 50. Then I bring the FC up to SALM level and it's good to go. I opened the pool to crystal clear water with the FC level at 4. That was 4 1/2 months with no attention to the water chemistry. The whole key is closing when the water temp is below 60 and opening before the water temp reaches 60.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Winter Covers?

I don't really have anything to add except I am following this thread because I have the same questions! This is my first year with our pool and it want to make sure I close properly. I DID however, have a mesh like cover that the old owners had left on the pool over the winter, and when we pulled it off to open our pool water looked like tea. So I'm thinking a solid cover but still looking into it as well.
    24' x 52" AG / Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward Power-Flo 2 Speed Pump
    TF100 test kit / Pool Rover Hybrid Robot
    St. Louis, MO *GO CARDINALS*

4. Back To Top    #4

In for this, first year as well with 16'
    16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

We use the black tarp looking cover from Lowes. It is a pool cover. Seems like they are about $100. We dont use a pump for that. We have about 1/2" clear tubing taped to a stick to stick it out towards the middle and siphon it out. It takes a while to siphon most times and can freeze up in winter but we havent had any problems from this setup. Certainly easier and cheaper than fooling with a pump.

I do have a utility pump I start using about mid winter. Peel the cover back and stick it in the pool. Test water, maybe add bleach and let it circulate and mix the water for a little while. Have to use it more towards spring/opening since the water gets warmer but opening to a crystal clear pool is worth it and not having to shock it first. Something you to think about.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have used both the solid cover and one with mesh strip. Here is a thread with pictures.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...947#post637947
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linda1 View Post
    I have used both the solid cover and one with mesh strip. Here is a thread with pictures.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...947#post637947
    Brand? Where to buy? Thanks!
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks.
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Look up Hurricae above ground pool covers.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

I used a solid winter cover, adding a leaf net on top is better, I did not and now the cover if filled with rain water and leafs, it will be a pain when I have to take of the cover.

I found winter cover for $60 on amazon, and also 10' double tubes were $5, I bought 6 of those.

You don't have to worry about pumping water, let it fill up, there is no harm, it will flow out to the pool deck and drain I guess.
    10' x 20', 6000 gallon Inground pool with Vinyl liner and sand filter.