Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool look amazing! Now what do I do with the stuff leftover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool look amazing! Now what do I do with the stuff leftover?

Hi,

Thanks to this forum/website my pool is picture perfect. Looks amazing with the plaster and tile repaired and water balanced. Had my 10 month old first grandchild here to visit and he approved of the water immensely. Another fish is the family.

My question is, what do I do with the big bucket of 3" pucks/tabs from Leslie's Pool? Should I use a couple here and there or not bother?
    I can't return it, as I've used some. All my readings are spot on. I just bought a bottle of PhosFree which I just returned.

By the way, the electric company must hate you folks, my Summer electric bill will be cut by 3/4 easily and my cost of chemicals in the future will be greatly reduced. I love this. I've always had what I thought was a balanced and clean pool over the years, but never this easily and inexpensively. As long as I don't think about how I could have retired on what I've spent over the years, life is good.

Thanks again, Patty
    Gunite Pool Inground, Plaster, Built 1982
    20 x 40 paisley, 8 deep end, 3 shallow end, 26,000 gal - 30,000 gal ??
    Filter - Apolo Mode VA 38, 38ft, pressure 50lbs, flow rate 95 GPM, 22 lg., 40 deep, 20 wide
    Model No. C48K2PA105C5, 1 HP 115/230 3450 RPM 60 HZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool look amazing! Now what do I do with the stuff leftover?

Save the tablets and use them when you need to add a little CYA ... they will last for years in the bucket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Save the pucks. They'll last for years if you keep the bucket closed. They're useful for vacation and to raise CYA when you lose some from backwashing and splashout.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep them dry and they'll last a long time. You can either use them for vacations, or for a CYA bump in the future if/when you need it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Just make sure to not store them in your garage the humidity and heat will cause the acid in them to corrode any metal items in your garage.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Just make sure to not store them in your garage the humidity and heat will cause the acid in them to corrode any metal items in your garage.
    Is this likely why the cabinet hinges in my pool house have corroded?
    16 x 32 - 20,000 Gal - Rectangle Gunite / Sand Filter / TF-100 Test Kit / Oklahoma

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that is likely. Is it possible it could be rust, though?
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Yes, that is likely. Is it possible it could be rust, though?
    It's just the interior hinges of a single set of cabinets that stored various chems (before I found this site). There is no rust or corrosion in the rest of the pool house.
    16 x 32 - 20,000 Gal - Rectangle Gunite / Sand Filter / TF-100 Test Kit / Oklahoma

9. Back To Top    #9

Yea, that's likely to be the trichlor. If that's all it's doing, and you don't have any other metal things that are sensitive to corrosion, I would just leave them there. I've seen some tablet floaters with the white plastic inside of it turned brown. I've also noticed one of my tablet packages with brown spots on it. Hmm...
    Bobby (my pool)

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the replies and comments. I think the pool supply store knows I'm not going to be a money maker for them. I returned a product today. Nice.

I store the pucks in the part of my pool house that has my filter, pump and electrical box. Very interesting about the corrosion. I keep my lawn mower in the other side of the pool house. Will the pucks damage it if I store the pucks with the mower?
    Can I seal the bucket with several plastic bags or something?

Thanks, Patty
    Gunite Pool Inground, Plaster, Built 1982
    20 x 40 paisley, 8 deep end, 3 shallow end, 26,000 gal - 30,000 gal ??
    Filter - Apolo Mode VA 38, 38ft, pressure 50lbs, flow rate 95 GPM, 22 lg., 40 deep, 20 wide
    Model No. C48K2PA105C5, 1 HP 115/230 3450 RPM 60 HZ

11. Back To Top    #11

You're not storing muriatic acid in the same cabinet, are you? That could be another source of corrosion.
    18x36, 19k gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward s244t sand filter, 3/4HP Hayward pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Puck buckets are not like "normal" buckets. It is not a snap on lid. The lid screws on - it should provide a good enough seal.

I keep a few pucks in a old puck bucket in my shed, with plenty of metal around it (I parkmy lawn tractor about 3 feet from it) with no adverse effects.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

13. Back To Top    #13

If your pucks are in a plastic bag inside the bucket keep the bag tightly closed and and the lid on the bucket. That should reduce the out-gassing from the pucks.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Like you, I had just purchased a 50 lb bucket of pucks before I adopted TFPC, and was kind of wondering the same thing. When I got the bucket, I was a little irritated that each puck was individually cellophane-wrapped - I was cursing that when I had to unwrap each one to put it in the chlorinator. But now, it's turned out to be a blessing, because I suspect those individually wrapped pucks sealed in their bucket will likely last me for a lifetime of vacations.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

15. Back To Top    #15

Also, pool stores can open those and sell them individually (like my local Ace). The actual buckets are locked behind a glass door at Ace.
    Bobby (my pool)

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by achianese View Post
    You're not storing muriatic acid in the same cabinet, are you? That could be another source of corrosion.
    Yes, there's a jug of Muriatic acid in the cabinet as well.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, that's much more acid than than the tablets, lol. If that container were to leak, and touch the tablets, it would create a chlorine gas, fyi.
    Bobby (my pool)