How to Remove Pool Light-Screw Stripped

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
My pool light is burned out--at least I think it is. It worked fine for about a year, then stopped. I also want to check behind it for black algae.

The problem is that the Phillips head screw is stripped. I really don't want to drain my pool 2.5 feet or so to drill it out. Any ideas?

My spa light (which works) was clean when I removed it a few weeks ago and it gets less circulation than my pool light so I'm thinking it should be fairly clean behind the light. But I'd like to change the bulb.

I'm going to guess you mean the Phillips drive is stripped.

A favorite way I have of removing screws with stripped drives heads is as follows:

1. Select or purchase a screwdriver that is the very BEST fit for what remains of the screw head. If you use a driver that is too small or too big, you won't succeed.

2. Go to an auto supply and purchase a small tube of valve grinding compound. It's a mixture of silicone carbide particles in oil or water. If you have a choice the oil based stuff would be better.

3. Drop a dollop of that compound onto the screwdriver tip. The sharp silicon carbide particles will increase the grip of the screwdriver tip to what remains of the head of the screw.

4. Press the screwdriver as hard as you can, with all the force you can muster, into the screw head and WHILE pressing, try to turn the screw a little bit. Make sure your going in the correct direction (counter-clockwise when viewed from the head of the screw). Relax and repeat it again, just turning a little bit at a time. If everything goes right, the screw will break free. Take it out and throw it away.

I realize this is going to be very difficult hanging over the edge of the pool, but if it saves draining and drilling, it'll be worth it.

Good Luck

You might be able to JB-Weld a screwdriver onto the screw. Put a dab of JB Weld on the tip of the screwdriver and hold it in place for a few minutes. Let it dry and crank away.

JB Weld is a compound that hardens like a regular weld so it might be strong enough to hold the screw driver on the screw.

J-B Weld Waterweld-8277 - The Home Depot

Otherwise, I like the idea of cutting a slot to use a flat-head. Done that many times. Just not sure how that is done underwater. Perhaps the air tool idea?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the threads are stripped, you should be able to get a very small "pry bar" behind the bezel ring and apply outward pressure on the bezel so the it "pushes" the screw out when you turn it.

I have a similar problem that I have been trying to solve for 2 years. My light went out, but I have been unable to remove the screw holding it in. The screw is a hex screw on the top, which should work in my favor. However, it was so stuck that it broke 2 of my hex wrenches before finally becoming too stripped to get a grip on anymore. I have tried loosening and tightening to break it lose, but no joy. Since I plan to replace the entire fixture with a new one, I am OK breaking this one if need be. Does anyone have a diagram of how these lights are secured into the pool wall? I want to study it to figure out where to apply pressure or where to focus my efforts to get this darn light removed!

There is no name brand on it, but it appears to be similar to pictures of Pentair lights. It is a large light for the main pool. In ground. 300W.

This probably won't help everyone with the "screw stuck underwater" problem, but maybe it will help some.

I needed to replace the bulb in my pool light and found that the single screw holding the bezel just would not move. The Phillips head screwdriver kept slipping out of the screwhead, regardless of whether I was trying to turn it from above (laying on the pool deck reaching down) or from within the pool right in front of it (even less pressure because you don't have anything holding you up against the pool wall).

I looked all over the TFP forum and someone recommended trying to tighten the screw a bit in the hope that it might "break" the rust. That didn't work for me.

Then I saw a You Tube of a guy who used an air-powered drill with a screw extractor bit underwater and got it done, but I don't have an air-powered drill. I was thinking about buying a cheap one at HF or maybe renting one, because I do have a couple of screw extractor sets that I'd used in the past working on cars. Those absolutely do require a drill because you have to drill a hole in the center of the screw (or bolt) for them to work.

Then, I remembered that I had another smaller set of two-ended 1/4" drive screw extractors. They, too, really need a drill. BUT they don't require actually drilling a hole in the target. One end of the bit is sort of a conical file to make a neat "well" in the head of the screw, and the other is a sharp-toothed bit that fits into that "well" and "grabs" the screw as it's being turned in reverse.

So I decided to give that a try by hand, using a 1/4" drive handle from a screwdriver that came with interchangeable screw bits.

It took quite a while: Maybe 30 minutes or so of manually "coring out" the screw head, then turning the bit around and pushing in on it as hard as I could to finally get the "sharp" end of the bit to "catch". It finally did, so I was able to remove the screw without having to find a drill to take underwater.

I'm sure many other "stuck screws" underwater will be too "stuck" for this to work, but I can tell you it's worth giving it a try.

In case it helps anyone else, it's called a "SpeedOut Damaged Screw Extractor" and I think I paid maybe $10.00 for the set at Lowe's or Home Depot. The one I had said it is "Titanium-Coated". I don't know whether or not that made any difference in keeping it from breaking or dulling, but just so you'll know . . . .

Paul

I know this is a late reply, but I’m writing this for anyone else with the same problem. We had a stripped screw head in the spa. The screw was a Phillips. We took the largest flathead we had and my husbands “Thor Hammer”, iron mallet. We hammered the flathead into the screw head and boom we had enough grip to unscrew it. Now we just have to buy a new screw. Good luck, hope this helps!

Reactions: Texas Splash
I found this thread by doing a Google search for "pool light screw stuck." I read through the responses and figured that my options were either to (A) drain the pool and use power tools in hopes of getting the screw off, (B) use the SpeedOut to try and get the phillips head screw unstuck, or (C) try using a hammer to carve a new groove and then hope that I could get it unstuck.

I did get the screw out. I didn't use any of the above techniques. Here's how I did it. I can't say this will work for everyone. Your mileage may vary.

I took a small 1/8" flathead screwdriver like this one:

It had the hard plastic on the back. The tip was wide (wider than those small ones you use to fix a watch or computer parts) but it was also thin at the head. Almost like a knife. (If I didn't have this, I'd use a sharp knife to start.)

Using a hammer, I treated the screwdriver like a wedge and was able to pry a small gap between the top of the screw and the metal ring. This wasn't particularly hard but I was doing this under water so was limited to 5 to 10 good hits before having to resurface for air.

Once I had the head of the screwdriver under the screw, I tried to pry it a bit and *snap* off went the tip of the screwdriver. Shoot. I had a second one, so I switched to that. Snap. Same thing. So keep in mind. If your screw is really stuck, you may break a few tools doing this.

Once I had a gap established, I used a larger, more robust flathead screwdriver (that was less likely to break) and again, using it as a wedge, hammered to widen the gap between the screw head and the metal pool light ring. I continued working around the screw trying to get an even gap.

I'm not going to lie. This was not an easy process. But I could see progress being made. I could see a gap forming all the way around the screw, and that was a whole lot more than I'd had before.

I continued using subsequently larger, fatter, bigger flathead screwdrivers and hammering all around the screw to form a gap between it and the metal pool light ring.

At some point, once the screw was slightly separated with a gap all around it, I tried pulling the pool light from the wall. It was stuck tight. I couldn't tell if it was because of the screw, or that it had just been years of it being in the same place. So I used a thin screwdriver and tried prying it gently away from the wall. After a bit, I was able to get it a little loose. That's when i realized that this was going to work.

With the metal pool light now wiggling a little bit, I knew that I just needed to get the screw far enough out. Then I could either saw it off, rip it out, etc. I really wasn't sure. I just knew I was making progress.

I continued tapping with larger flathead screwdrivers and the gap all around was about 1/16" so I started prying back and forth to get the head to bend a bit out. That didn't really work, but it did widen the gap just a bit. ]

At this point, I started using pliers to see if I could grab the end of the screw. And I could! Using a heavy duty set of pliers, I was able to grab the tip of the screw and turn it. I can't even tell you how excited I was to see that screw finally turn.

I used the pliers to turn the screw until it came out.

All told, the process took about an hour and a half.

So in summary, I used a hammer along with small screwdrivers which acted as a wedge. I worked all around the head of the screw and was able to separate it from the metal light ring. Once I had enough of a gap (which did take over an hour), I was able to grab the screw head with a pair of pliers and from there, I was able to unscrew it.

I hope this helps somebody else!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.