Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to Remove Pool Light-Screw Stripped

1. Back To Top    #1

How to Remove Pool Light-Screw Stripped

My pool light is burned out--at least I think it is. It worked fine for about a year, then stopped. I also want to check behind it for black algae.

The problem is that the Phillips head screw is stripped. I really don't want to drain my pool 2.5 feet or so to drill it out. Any ideas?

My spa light (which works) was clean when I removed it a few weeks ago and it gets less circulation than my pool light so I'm thinking it should be fairly clean behind the light. But I'd like to change the bulb.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to Remove Pool Light-Screw Stripped

When you say stripped, do you mean the threads are stripped or the Phillips drive is stripped?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

Someone once used a cheap air tool under the water to either drill it out or cut a slot to use a standard screwdriver.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The screw itself is stripped. Several good Phillips head screwdrivers all failed to get it out. I may try cutting a slot for a standard screwdriver head. Thanks.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Whatever you end up doing, please keep us posted. Others will surely find this thread in the future.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm going to guess you mean the Phillips drive is stripped.

A favorite way I have of removing screws with stripped drives heads is as follows:

1. Select or purchase a screwdriver that is the very BEST fit for what remains of the screw head. If you use a driver that is too small or too big, you won't succeed.

2. Go to an auto supply and purchase a small tube of valve grinding compound. It's a mixture of silicone carbide particles in oil or water. If you have a choice the oil based stuff would be better.

3. Drop a dollop of that compound onto the screwdriver tip. The sharp silicon carbide particles will increase the grip of the screwdriver tip to what remains of the head of the screw.

4. Press the screwdriver as hard as you can, with all the force you can muster, into the screw head and WHILE pressing, try to turn the screw a little bit. Make sure your going in the correct direction (counter-clockwise when viewed from the head of the screw). Relax and repeat it again, just turning a little bit at a time. If everything goes right, the screw will break free. Take it out and throw it away.

I realize this is going to be very difficult hanging over the edge of the pool, but if it saves draining and drilling, it'll be worth it.

Good Luck
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

How do you cut a slot under water?

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have an air compressor a die grinder should work. Try to find one with a bottom exhaust (by the air coupling), otherwise seeing what you are doing will be very difficult.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

You might be able to JB-Weld a screwdriver onto the screw. Put a dab of JB Weld on the tip of the screwdriver and hold it in place for a few minutes. Let it dry and crank away.

JB Weld is a compound that hardens like a regular weld so it might be strong enough to hold the screw driver on the screw.

J-B Weld Waterweld-8277 - The Home Depot

Otherwise, I like the idea of cutting a slot to use a flat-head. Done that many times. Just not sure how that is done underwater. Perhaps the air tool idea?
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

10. Back To Top    #10

Doesn't Sears sell a special screw driver with a head specifically designed to remove stripped screw heads? Has carbide sharp edges to cut into any remaining screw heads.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

If the threads are stripped, you should be able to get a very small "pry bar" behind the bezel ring and apply outward pressure on the bezel so the it "pushes" the screw out when you turn it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School