Robert.wolfe

In The Industry
Jul 29, 2014
Dallas, tx
Alright I've been working for a pool company for over a year. I question about cyanuric. I know what it does some what. But the part I don't know is. If the cyanuric acid is 100+ but my chemistry is at 5- 7.2/7.6- 80-100. Will I have algae start to grow.

5 is < than 7 which is minimum for a CYA of 100ppm ... so yes, you are at risk. {Of course there are special circumstances in which you may be lucky and not have algae grow, but still be at risk for disease transmission}

But, given those results, I have to guess that you are using test strips which we do not trust as being reliable or accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not good enough ... you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test as your pink DPD color matching test is limited to 5ppm and will actually have the color fade out at high FC levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Please clear something up.
Is this your pool? Or do you work for a company that maintains other pools?

Without knowing the CYA level we cannot tell you if you have enough chlorine to sanitize the water and prevent algae from growing. The CYA test tops out at 100. If you have a test that showed 100 CYA the real result may be much higher. When you get a result that high you should dilute the sample by mixing one part pool water to one part tap water and run the test again. Your result will be double what is shown on the test vial.

There's no guarantee you'll get algae, but you have increased the risk. If there's no algae food, it won't grow. If there's no algae spores, it won't grow. You never see algae in a sealed bottle of distilled water and it has no chlorine in it. But since most pools are not hermetically sealed, algae is a constant risk. For 100 CYA, maintaining a minimum of 7 FC will almost guarantee you won't get algae, as certain as it's possible to be. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Well, the minimum for a 50ppm CYA is 4ppm. So if it stays above that, then you should be fine.

How do you guys chlorinate? How often do you visit?
The methods we teach here are geared toward the homeowners that can spend a few minutes on the pool everyday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.