Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Replacement

I need to replace my pump but I don't know which one to get. I currently have a 1 HP 1.25 SF pump. Do I need to keep the same combo or can I go up to a 1.5 HP? The pool company who usually does the work on my pool is recommending the 1.5 HP but I am not sure.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Replacement

You don't have to keep the same size pump, but you should size the pump appropriately for your pool. If you could tell us a little more about your pool we could help you choose the size pump you need. Do you have any water features such as waterfalls, fountains, deck jets, ect? How large is your pool? What type and how large is your filter?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool is a 20,000 gallon in ground pool. No,extra things like spas, waterfalls, etc.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

All you need is as small of a pump as you can get, ideally a 2 speed to save money on power.

Why do you need to replace the pump? Could you just replace the motor with the same size 2-speed motor?
    What is the current pump wired for, 115V or 230V?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The filter is a Pentair FNSP 60 sq ft.

- - - Updated - - -

The pump is currently wired to 230. It is old and the motor has seized up. The pool guy recommends replacing the whole thing because we have issue with the basket as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, then I recommend a 1HP 2-speed Pentair Superflo (SF-N2-1A) or Hayward SuperPump
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Why would my pool guy recommend a 1.5 HP pump?
    20,000 IG Fiberglass Pentair FNSP 60 DE, currently looking for a new pump - current pump is a 1 HP, 1.25 SF,

8. Back To Top    #8

Who knows ... from what we see most "pool guys" are full of questionable advice. Ask him.
    Maybe he has one in his truck he is looking to unload.

Do you need more flow? I can not see why you would.
    The more water you move, the higher the electrical bill.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, what are the benefits of the Pentair vs the Hayward?
    20,000 IG Fiberglass Pentair FNSP 60 DE, currently looking for a new pump - current pump is a 1 HP, 1.25 SF,

10. Back To Top    #10

Nothing. They are comparable. I happen to have the Superflo which I know comes with union fittings that make it easier to plumb and it includes the speed switch. I am not sure what comes with the Hayward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't think we need more water flow. It looks good. Also, what is better uprated or full rated? Thank you for all the information.

12. Back To Top    #12

Up-rated and Full-rated are a numbers game. If the HP*SF is the same, they are the identical pumps.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool guy recommended the Pentair Challenger. Is this a good one or should I keep looking at the SuperFlo?

14. Back To Top    #14

The 1.5HP challenger is a MUCH bigger pump which will cost more to buy and to run ... (and does not come in 2-speed version). Way overkill.

The 3/4HP Full or 1HP Up-rated Challenger has a similar performance curve (and thus flow rate) as the recommended 1HP 2-speed Superflo would on high speed.

On low speed, you would move half the water for 1/4 the amount of power. So even running on low for twice as long would save 50% of the power cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Here are some good pumps that will work well. All 1 hp two speed, as Jason has recommended. I have listed them in order of increasing price. I have the first one on the list (Jandy). Jason has the second one (Pentair Superflo). I think they are all pretty much equivalent. Of course, if you are buying from your pool guy he may not have the same selection or prices.

Jandy FloPro $399.95
    Pentair Superflo $429.95
    Hayward Superpump $479.95
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

16. Back To Top    #16

I would also recommend the Hayward MaxFlo. It is a very efficient design and it has unions too!
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater