Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid vs granular cyanuric acid (i.e stabilizer.)

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid vs granular cyanuric acid (i.e stabilizer.)

I'm curious to hear opinions on the traditional granular CYA vs the liquid "instant" form (i.e. monosodium cyanurate monohydrate.) I know that the liquid is much more expensive per ppm raised, but I only need to bump up my CYA a bit, so the cost difference is no big deal in my case. Given this, is there ANY reason not to use the liquid form? It seems like the liquid would be faster and easier to administer, but I'm wondering about other chemical effects that might take place by using monosodium cyanurate monohydrate, and if there are any special considerations I should take into account.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Liquid vs granular cyanuric acid (i.e stabilizer.)

I don't know of any reason's not to use it. The majority of people use the granular for the reason you stated, price.
    If you could add all your pool, equipment and your location to your sig, that will help us help you better. 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    St. John's, Newfoundland

Re: Liquid vs granular cyanuric acid (i.e stabilizer.)

No reason not to use liquid. I never have used liquid myself because granular is cheaper. One negative of granular (if you want to call it a negative) is that it can take up to week to show up on your CYA test. If price is not a concern for you, there's no reason not to use liquid.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Grand Rapids, MI

I've used the liquid once when I wanted to know immediately a confirmed cya rate (and had zero) against which to shock. In terms of cost, my reasoning was that I'd save as much in reduced chlorine required for same

Now that the swamp is recovered and I only need a little to bring it up from splash out, etc., the slower powder is just fine too...because I haven't had to shock since that first time

So its just a matter of preference.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5
    Lakeland, FL

Cost is the driving factor. Really in the big scheme of things waiting for 24 hour or so for it to dissolve isn't a big deal.
    Here's some other reading:
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida