Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help figuring out existing system

1. Back To Top    #1

Help figuring out existing system

I've been in this place for a little over a year and I never paid much attention to the pool workings, a company dealt with it. Trouble is these guys were constantly billing me for parts, like bearings for pumps and 2 timers in one year. I finally had enough and decided to do things myself.
    After reading about the subject I got the suspicion my whole system made no sense.
    Now for the numbers, the pool is 12.5k gallons IG, the avg. dist. to pool is 35ft. I chlorinate manually, there's 3 skimmer and 5 jets. The hardware is 2x1.5HP Hayward Superpumps, single speed running concurrently on timer, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, 400lbs, and finally a Pahlen Electric Resistive Heater, 415V.

My queries are as follows:

1. Is the equipment overkill for the pool size? Or did they have it right? The pipes are all 2".
    2. When the last timer blew, i switched it for a 1 pst old school clock timer, 30A, that hooked up to just one pump. Is one pump enough or should I utilise the second one as well? Timer is set at 2hr ON 4hr OFF.
    3. My most pressing issue is the heater. The pool is indoors and is cold as heck. When this heater runs it is marvelous. Problem is, when I just hooked the one pump the heater just wouldn't kick in. My guess its because the flow isn't sufficient, so how can I fix it? I don't want to change the configuration if I don't have to so any ideas? Should I remove the Flowrate sensor switch and just run the heater on a timer or is that too dangerous?

Any help welcome. Thanks in advance!

WP_20140704_002 - Copy.jpgWP_20140704_001 - Copy.jpgWP_20140730_001 - Copy.jpgWP_20140728_001 - Copy.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help figuring out existing system

It would help if you posted some pictures of the plumbing layout. Especially the equipment pad.

Depending on how they're plumbed, one pump should be more than enough for that pool. My suspicion is that one of the pumps is dedicated to the heater circuit.

Looks like that's a 15kw heater. I'm surprised that it adds much heat to the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

WP_20140731_002 - Copy (2).jpg

The far pump is the one running now. The second one is hidden behind the filter. Note that the pic of the timer is the old one before I switched it to the simple clock timer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a strange setup. It sure looks like both pumps feed the same filter and then from the filter to heater and the up and down the wall (?) Is that right?

If that is the case, there would never be a need to run both pumps .... almost like one is a backup

- - - Updated - - -

Can you add a picture from the other side too, please?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I can't squeeze in to snap a pic from the other size. The equipment is under a staircase.

The heater is the biggest mystery at the moment. Its hooked up and powered fine, but for some reason doesn't want to start up.
    12.5k Gallons, IG indoor rectangle pebble, 1.5HP Hayward Superpump single speed, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

What does the filter pressure run with either and both pumps running?

Looks like the pump discharges are manifolded to the filter and then it leaves the filter and runs down, over and up to the heater.
    From the heater it's should be going to the returns. If so how many eyeballs are there and what size are they?

Just making sure I understand. The heater does work if you run both pumps?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

The old timer had the pumps running concurrently, 1.5 hours at a time, so total was 12 hours a day each. Now with the single pump I have it running for 8 hours total, 2hours on 4 hours off.
    The pressure hasn't changed, slightly lower maybe. Should I run the pump for more than 2 hours at a time?
    The heater runs fine on the older setup. There are 5 eyeballs, one inch size. Also have 3 skimmers.
    Tomorrow I'm gonna run the pump on manual until I see the heater kick in. If it doesn't then something else is wrong.
    12.5k Gallons, IG indoor rectangle pebble, 1.5HP Hayward Superpump single speed, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you tell what the pressure is?
    Also make sure that the gauge is good.
    Does it go to zero when the pumps are off?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

It reads 20psi or thereabouts. When pump is off it drops to below 10, but never zero. Do you think need more pressure to kick start the **** heater?

10. Back To Top    #10

You need a new gauge. That one of broken. The glycerin filled ones like from tftestkits.net are very nice.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

Can you add your location to your profile as outlined here - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started

That nice TFTestkit pressure gauge - http://tftestkits.net/Flow-Meters-and-PSI-Gauges-c12/
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Replace the gauge and then report the new gauge readings when you run one pump at a time and then when you run both pumps together.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator