Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex filter housing

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex filter housing

I was searching for help on the net and came across this site. Looks great and very helpful. I have an intex pool that has the salt generator and a cartridge style filter. The filter housing cracked from top to bottom along the mold line (where it was made). I've tried to temporarily mend it with some "water weld" putty and a couple huge hose clamps.. It leaks still, of course. I called Intex and was told they don't sell the housing, I'd need to buy the entire set-up for several hundred dollars. I tried both of the local pool stores but neither sells Intex and seem quite grumpy that I bought a product they don't sell. One of the stores has a sand filter that one person said would be the right size. I went back with my current setup and the other person working said there's no way to hook it up to the other brand hoses/fittings.

So, does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do? The old filter held a B size cartridge, is there something else I can adapt, or a place to recommend that may have the part for sale besides the Intex website? Thanks folks! I appreciate any help you can offer, Greg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex filter housing

Converting to a sand filter is a much better idea than replacing your current pump. Yes it can be done fairly easily, and many on here have done it. I have done it with an Intex style pool. If you decide to move in this direction, post back and let us know. We can advise you on some options.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the sand filter sounds like the way I should go. Is there a brand or style that I should look for or avoid?
    Should I follow the other thread I saw that shows how to use hardware store conduit connections to adapt the odd Intex connectors?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If you purchase an Intex sand filter, it should be a simple swap without the need for any special adapters. At worst, you may need a couple of the Intex 1.25" to 1.5" adapters depending upon which pool and pump you currently have, but these are easily obtained and may even be included with the new sand pump/filter.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation