Too Much Chlorine?

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
We had an AGP installed in late March. From opening, I targeted 5 ppm with a minimum of 3ppm with a CYA of 30, but once the water temp was consistently in the lower 90's, I had a very low level algae bloom and had to slam the pool, which only took two days. Thereafter, others on this site recommended increasing my FC target to 8 and a minimum of 4, with a CYA of 40. I did, but had to increase to 8.5 with a minimum of 4 b/c my pool get 12 to 13 hours of sun per day and targeting 8.5 puts me at 4ppm when I test at night. I have no CC's, water is clear and feels great, and I pass the overnight chlorine test. I also had to remove the protective guards around the bottom of my Confer steps to increase water flow. The steps are the source of most of my woes. I run my pump on high for a total of 8 hours per day, four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening.

I noticed approximately a month ago that the bottom of the liner was a bit faded, but unevenly. The middle panel of the bottom is darker than the outer portion of the bottom. The sides seem to be as dark as the middle of the bottom and even. Today, I noticed that the plastic outside of the skimmer appears to have some fading at the water line, but the liner seems fine. Should I be concerned? Am I over chlorinating?

There will always be a degree of fading when it comes down to it. I believe it is a combination of Sun and chlorine together, coupled with the quality of the liner. JMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.