Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My poor TigerShark.

1. Back To Top    #1

My poor TigerShark.

Well the possible but not likely happened. I have small thermometers hanging into my pool. They're about 3/4" diameter tube shaped types. Turns out, when my TigerShark climbs the wall, they will eventually get stuck in just the wrong place: between the brush roller and the body of the cleaner.

My cleaner hung there for likely hours, helplessly churning on the thermometer, wreaking havoc on the roller. I was too mortified to think about snapping a useful photo... Several ball bearings on the bottom of the pool confirmed my fears. One of the roller bearings was broken, leaving the contents on the pool floor.

Took the robot apart and here's the aftermath:

Hopefully a replacement bearing will be all it needs. Let this be a lesson. Lift those thermometers out when starting your robots.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My poor TigerShark.

As wonderful as pool robots and auto cleaners are, I don't run mine when I'm not there to check on it every so often. My Ranger used to climb walls and start sucking air, or get caught on the stairs. I hope yours is not too difficult to fix.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What a bummer.

I never even thought about my robot eating my thermometer. I just made sure that never happens. The thermometer is officially retired. (dont need it anyway...its either too cold to swim or it aint! )
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just had the same thing happen to me with my AB 4WD.
    I found it molesting my floating Duck thermometer and got the string sucked up into its gears.
    After cutting the string and working it out of the gears it seems I stopped the offense it in time.
    The duck no longer lives in the pool and now if I want to know the temp I put it in for a couple of minutes
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

You probally have this info but if you don't hope it helps:
    http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...rive_belt.aspx
    Parts:
    http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_...ger_shark.aspx

Hope that helps.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah. Love that inyopools.com has illustrated part breakdowns and instructions for repairs! Thanks for the reminder.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

New bearing and TigerShark is back (with thermometers out of the pool).

My supervisor approves.