Hi TFP'ers! First off, thanks so much for the wealth of information on this site. I went from understanding nothing to having a pretty good idea on how to manage things on my own in a week! I'm a first time pool owner, rennovating a house that was vacant for > 6 months. The pool was eating chlorine like mad despite being relatively clear, then over the weekend I noticed some algae forming on the steps, I knew I had a problem. Luckily my TF100 arrived on Saturday and I was able to do a full test. 10,000 gallon in-ground pool. Numbers:
CC = 0.5 (I had added in a 1lb bag of dichlor a few days prior)
TC = 2.5
CH = 325 (My area is known for hard water)
TA = 110/120
CYA = 0
I added in a full gallon of liquid conditioner and started the shock process this morning. After depleting the chlorine rapidly several times I knew something else had to be up. The pool light was burnt out and I needed to figure out if it was 12V or 120V, so i climbed in and unscrewed the pool fixture. Algae everywhere !!. I grabbed my corner brush and scrubbed away, then brushed the sides of the pool again, then kicked on my polaris to stir all that algae up into the water for the chlorine to fight. Now, on to my questions:
1. Is it safe to leave the pool light out of its fixture? The power is off to the light fixture, and I want to make sure the water can circulate in its cavity to help kill the algae.
2. Should I have the pump focusing more on the main drain or skimmer? Previously I had the gate set to about 2/3 skimmer and 1/3 main drain, but have moved it to half/half for this step.
3. Now that I've cleared out a massive clump of algae, should I be doing anything differently other than keeping myself at shock level for a CYA of 30?
4. My pH is high. I have some muriatic acid on hand, should I add in the recommended amount to get it down lower now, or wait until I pass the OCLT?
Thanks again so much for all the knowledge and assistance!