Salt water pool with Lueder limestone copings? Problems? Please advice!

May 28, 2014
North Dallas
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding using Lueder Limestone coping with a salt water pool.....is it a good idea? We were going to use poured concrete coping for our pool but none of the color or surface finish techniques are to our liking....so the BP is recommending using Lueder limestone instead, which will be more expensive....we are considering this option but concern of the long term effect of salt water (with SWG) to the stone coping. Would love to know the options of good people in this forum.

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding using Lueder Limestone coping with a salt water pool.....is it a good idea? We were going to use poured concrete coping for our pool but none of the color or surface finish techniques are to our liking....so the BP is recommending using Lueder limestone instead, which will be more expensive....we are considering this option but concern of the long term effect of salt water (with SWG) to the stone coping. Would love to know the options of good people in this forum.

Lueders is troublesome around all pools, salt or no salt. While this stone is beautiful, especially on formal pools, it has a few issues.

* Stains easily
* Is very porous - it just sucks in the sealer and sealing doesn't seem to help protect it.
* Pitts very easily - but can be sanded

I would recommend going with a 2 inch thick travertine bullnose coping for your pool. Travertine holds up very well in a salt pool environment (I have travertine deck). If you like the white look of Lueders, you can get travertine in very light colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.