Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water pool with Lueder limestone copings? Problems? Please advice!

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water pool with Lueder limestone copings? Problems? Please advice!

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding using Lueder Limestone coping with a salt water pool.....is it a good idea? We were going to use poured concrete coping for our pool but none of the color or surface finish techniques are to our liking....so the BP is recommending using Lueder limestone instead, which will be more expensive....we are considering this option but concern of the long term effect of salt water (with SWG) to the stone coping. Would love to know the options of good people in this forum.
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water pool with Lueder limestone copings? Problems? Please advice!

Quote Originally Posted by cchopkins View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a question regarding using Lueder Limestone coping with a salt water pool.....is it a good idea? We were going to use poured concrete coping for our pool but none of the color or surface finish techniques are to our liking....so the BP is recommending using Lueder limestone instead, which will be more expensive....we are considering this option but concern of the long term effect of salt water (with SWG) to the stone coping. Would love to know the options of good people in this forum.
    Lueders is troublesome around all pools, salt or no salt. While this stone is beautiful, especially on formal pools, it has a few issues.

* Stains easily
    * Is very porous - it just sucks in the sealer and sealing doesn't seem to help protect it.
    * Pitts very easily - but can be sanded

I would recommend going with a 2 inch thick travertine bullnose coping for your pool. Travertine holds up very well in a salt pool environment (I have travertine deck). If you like the white look of Lueders, you can get travertine in very light colors.
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge