algae problem, pool store water testing numbers, waiting for kit to arrive

bkp13

Apr 18, 2014
Fresno, CA
I decided to start a new thread on this in the right forum. So we have algae. We have been using pucks and a very basic chlorine and pH kit, and very occasionally we put in some loose dichlor if the chlorine is a bit low. This approach was fine the first year. This year, we've had some algae, and I'm learning about this forum's method of pool care. I ordered a "good kit" and am planning to use bleach rather than pucks (unless we go out of town).

Here are the numbers I got when I brought our water to the pool store to be tested. I'm not sure whether to trust these numbers, but it will be some more days until the testing kit arrives. It's supposed to be here by August 5, but it's hard to wait that long. I'd like to get this under control in the meantime, but that's hard to do without proper testing, I guess. So, what would you do in this situation, while waiting for the kit?

Free available chlorine 4.0
Total available chlorine 4.0
CH 150
CYA 60
TA 80
pH 7.3
Phosphates 400

These were the numbers from the pool store testing yesterday. I'm not sure what's the best thing to do until I get the test kit and can do the SLAM method. What do you think I should do to keep the chlorine up and the algae at bay, until we can really measure and treat this more systematically? Fortunately we don't have any swim parties coming up (we had one in June and two in July) but it's been over 100 degrees day after day, and I'd really love to be able to use the pool!!! Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.