Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bottles of chlorine are marked with the day and year it was made?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bottles of chlorine are marked with the day and year it was made?

[color=green]Split off of here. Please ask questions in your own topic. JasonLion[/url]

Wait...bottles of chlorine are marked with the day if the year it was made? Cool I just checked my Clorox and it was made on day 175 too.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which one is a better deal-Bleach or Liquid Chlorine

Only if you use his very subjective .29 /oz standard. Locally, it is what it is.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

That calculator will still give the OP the relative costs of what they find .... regardless of the color of the result.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I won't disagree on the use of the calculator as beneficial to determining the relative lowest cost of any number "available" options. But it could be even better if it calculated the cost based on age of the chlorine. I'm sure Chem Greek could develope the calculation based on the mfg date of the bottle.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    I won't disagree on the use of the calculator as beneficial to determining the relative lowest cost of any number "available" options. But it could be even better if it calculated the cost based on age of the chlorine. I'm sure Chem Greek could develope the calculation based on the mfg date of the bottle.
    Really ... so would the inputs include the storage temperature as a function of time since bottling and sun exposure as well?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrock View Post
    I was just telling someone else we found in our Walmart the bleach is $0.30/oz but you can walk over to the garden section and get liquid chlorine for $0.25/oz.
    I could drive across the interstate and get 10% at home Depot but it was mfg in march 2013 -- not so good a deal!

- - - Updated - - -

Jason, I guess it could- but that would be just a tad of overkill. See my most recent post above.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    $3.50/(121 *.0825) = $.35 oz
    $5.00/(128 * .10) = .39/oz

Bleach is cheaper.
    +1

I just try to go with the best deal per oz in my area using the calculator: http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/chlorine/
    By the time you start to try and figure out loss of strength by days old you might as well try to figure out what temp it's been stored at and transported at. Bad enough with the variables of size of container, strength and container cost as it is.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

That's just plain silly! There's no way of knowing what the storage/transportation conditions are. But most often you can see what the mfg date and strength/ quantity are. I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't have that info on the bottle.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Storage is pretty easy at least at the end point. Is it sitting inside an air conditioned store or outside, or outside baking in the sun ?? My Fleet Farm displays it inside while my Home Depot has it in a "pool supplies" area outside in the sun in lawn and garden with the plants and fertilizer.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Transportation of & bleach storage - hot travels?

From a truck drivers point of view - what temperature do you think it is in a van trailer that bleach is being hauled in across the state(s)? Anyone?

If a truck driver is Sitting in a truck stop parking lot for lunch break on the tar at 110deg outside & then at the docks waiting to be unloaded (usually an all day affair at any box store) if the trailer isn't left at the dock all day for the night shift to unload. I know for a fact they do NOT use temperature control on bleach or household products UNLESS they are perishable goods/food. The cost of running a diesel temp control "reefer" is reserved for pharmaceuticals or perishables - so that bleach has plenty of opportunity to get very hot in hot area delivery climates. Agreed?

So once bleach "could be" heated up like that in a transport trailer coming to me in AZ; Wouldn't that shorten its life no matter where the store shelves it ? Obviously they don't help by putting it outside in a garden center.

Maybe a temp indicator on the jug? Like a forehead temp strip. Knowing those exist & are expensive & would never make it on a per jug due to cost.

What is the breakdown point of bleach with heat in transport - faster expiry by "X"? Thanks
    Last edited by TeamNelson; 07-29-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: New topic

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Really ... so would the inputs include the storage temperature as a function of time since bottling and sun exposure as well?
    I saw what you did there!

That's just plain silly! There's no way of knowing what the storage/transportation conditions are. But most often you can see what the mfg date and strength/ quantity are. I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't have that info on the bottle.
    He didn't!
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

12. Back To Top    #12

I could drive across the interstate and get 10% at home Depot but it was mfg in march 2013 -- not so good a deal!.
    Luckily I wasn't giving this advice for you.
    Thanks,
    Gil

In-ground: 20,600 gallons; Sand Filter 1HP pump; Kreepy Krauler; Solar Breeze Solar Powered Robotic Skimmer; TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Haha Gil!