First electricity bill

May 31, 2008
PA
We had a 21,100 gal IG/SWG/Cartridge filter pool installed a little over a month ago. We just got a our first electricity bill. WOW! $75 increase over the normal bill. It was a hotter month with more need for AC, but looking at the daily use, I can see a definite and consistent increase starting the day we turned on the pump.

I've been running the pump for 12 hours per day but now that I have the levels stabalized, I think I can cut it back to 8 hours. That should help some, but I was wondering what others see in terms of electricity impact from pool equipment. Is this normal?

If you'll post the current ratings from the plate on the pump motor (or the model number) and the KWH rate for your utility, somebody can estimate your hourly cost of operation.

I run my 1hp single speed pump about 12 hours a day, and have results similar to yours ($50 - $75 more). I'm going to go to a 3/4 hp two speed pump to try to defray that cost. From what I've read, running a two speed pump on low for circulation/filtering and on high for vacuuming really helps, as the low speed consumes much less energy, even if you have to run it longer to get the proper water filtration. I don't have any water features, so I'd only run it on high for vacuuming the pool.

Yes, we had the same problem. Had our pool installed end of May and was in shock at our electric bill. I figured our bill, based on our pump info and kw charge, at 10 hours/day (or was it 12?) and it will run us $75/mo extra (ouch!). Ours is the 1 HP Pentair Dynamo single-speed. So we're going to get the 1 HP Pentair Dynamo 2-speed and run it on low 24/7, except for vacuuming and backwashing (and we won't have to backwash very often at all with our zeolite sand filter and using a skimmer sock)...and it will only run us $36/mo.

So we'll be going from $75/mo (for 10-12/day) to $36/mo (for 24/7)! I feel better about that - because TEXAS GETS HOT!

Just be thankful you aren't living in California where the tier 3 rate (> 36 KWh per day) for electricity is 30 cents per kilowatt-hour (or 22 cents per kilowatt-hour above 23 KWh per day). My incremental electric bill for the pool used to be $1400 per year until I got a Pentair IntelliFlo variable flow pump where my incremental electric bill is now $700 per year.

LOL, if we lived in California, we wouldn't be able to afford having a pool put in...let alone being able to maintain it! Currently, we're with Cirro Energy, which is out of Plano, Texas. They just raised their rates from 12.70 kwh to 15 kwh. We basically have a flat rate. But I don't expect it to stay that way. I can't wait until we get the better pump/motor (then, I can go find the forum to learn the right way to install it!) And I get my TF-100 kit tomorrow...YEA!

chem geek said:
Just be thankful you aren't living in California where the tier 3 rate (> 36 KWh per day) for electricity is 30 cents per kilowatt-hour (or 22 cents per kilowatt-hour above 23 KWh per day). My incremental electric bill for the pool used to be $1400 per year until I got a Pentair IntelliFlo variable flow pump where my incremental electric bill is now $700 per year.

I am so glad I read this post. My PB recommends a Pentair single speed pump, but I am gooing to upgrade to the IntelliFlo. It seems like it will pay for itself.

Thanks for posting this!

Cherie said:
LOL, if we lived in California, we wouldn't be able to afford having a pool put in...let alone being able to maintain it! Currently, we're with Cirro Energy, which is out of Plano, Texas. They just raised their rates from 12.70 kwh to 15 kwh. We basically have a flat rate. But I don't expect it to stay that way. I can't wait until we get the better pump/motor (then, I can go find the forum to learn the right way to install it!) And I get my TF-100 kit tomorrow...YEA!

not to thread jack, but Dang, we're with Cirro too...we never got any notice about the raising rate! Looks like I'll be switching, de-regulation in Texas has killed us...I'll be looking at a 'fixed plan' I'd rather pay a little more in the spring and fall just to pay the same each month! Reliant and TXU will be getting a call from me soon!

Good look with the power bills!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
primetime said:
I am so glad I read this post. My PB recommends a Pentair single speed pump, but I am gooing to upgrade to the IntelliFlo. It seems like it will pay for itself.

Thanks for posting this!
You could also consider a 2-speed pump if you're on a tight budget. Depending on your setup and proper sizing of the pump, you could get most of the same benefits. The nice thing about the IntelliFlo is that it can be tuned to the flow (or speed, depending on model) that you need. If I didn't have my solar system, I'd be saving more like 80% instead of "just" 50%.

WOW Searay! I'd like to know who you are using so I can switch to them. But perhaps we need to start a new thread on Electric Bill or something, so we can chitchat about this more....and return this thread to it's rightful owner!! I'll PM you shortly :-D

Here is fairly simple way to calculate cost to run pool motor in case anyone is interested. It will give a reasonably accurate estimate of cost to run pump.

formula:
Cost = ((Volts x Amps)/1000) x Power Factor x Rate x Usage

Example:
Cost to run typical 1.5 hp pump for 8 hours:
Amps 10 - from motor nameplate. this is max amps motor will use.
Power Factor .8 - This is not the same as service factor.
I use .8 based on several measurments I have taken on pumps using amp meter.
more info here. Your mileage may vary.
Others on TFP might have different number
Volts 230
Rate 17 cents per kw - from electric bill

Show your work:
230x10/1000 = 2.3 kw uncorrected x .8 = 1.8 kwatts consumed
=1.8*.17 = $.3128 per hour x 8 hours = $2.50 per day to run pump

I'm on an East Texas rural co-op. You use them or a generator, there is no other choice. :rant: So that said, how do we run the pump for least cost? (and ain't that the topic??? :roll: )
Okay a two speed pump. I just replaced my one for all so I'm going to have to stick with that.

? how many hours a day is minimum for efficient maintenance of the pool?
The wife and 3 kids play in it once a day say, and average of 3-4 days a week. I don't get in much.

Here's the requested info about our pump and utility rates:

Pump: A.O. Smith. Model c48k2pa104c1. 115/230V (we are running at 230). 3450 max RPM. 14.8/7.4 max amperage.
Utility rate: Prices are tiered based on peak/mid/low charge times and distribution/transmission/transition/generation fees, but it looks like the avg sum of all that would be around 10.5 cents per KWH.

JayGee said:
I'm on an East Texas rural co-op. You use them or a generator, there is no other choice. :rant: So that said, how do we run the pump for least cost? (and ain't that the topic??? :roll: )
Okay a two speed pump. I just replaced my one for all so I'm going to have to stick with that.

? how many hours a day is minimum for efficient maintenance of the pool?
The wife and 3 kids play in it once a day say, and average of 3-4 days a week. I don't get in much.
I'm on a co-op with no choice as well. However, their prices are lower than the other major providers in the area.

I run my pump about 8 hours a day, and we rough calculated that it cost us around $75 a month. My electric bill is averaging around $575 a month right now (AC and >100 degree days), so it's only a small percent. :)

Yikes!

In Washington State I thought it was horrible that we have gone from $.06 per kilowatt to $.085 over the last several years and seen our bills climb.

I guess hydroelectric power really is cheaper. You guys are paying double of ours. Then again you get to use your pool year round.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.