Reoccurring algae problems

It seems like every year I fight to keep algae out of my pool. This year I thought I had resolved the problem but now the algae has returned. When I started the year my chlorine owes broke so I used crystals and sprinkled them directly into the pool. I did not have any algae problems until I purchased a new Chlorinator and placed it on line about 3 weeks ago. The algae has returned. I ran across this web site and started the Slamming process yesterday. Already this morning I can see a difference. I plan on continuing the SLamming until I kill all the algae. After emptying my wallet at the pool supply store and finding this web site here are my questions:

1. What kind of test kit should I purchase I see the Taylor 100 kit mentioned in a lot of post and also the 2006 kit. I just want to make sure I get one that will allow me to service my pool correctly.
2. I don't understand why the Chlorinator does not work. Why do they sell so many of these if they don't work. Is there a way they will work?
3. I have shut the Chlorinator off for now and I am using liquid bleach. The question is is there an easy way to dispense the liquid bleach?

Test results before slamming
PH 7.4
TA 100
CYA 100
FC 0

Welcome to TFP!

1. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best deal. You can also get a Taylor K-2006 from the same site.
2. It can work, but you need to be aware of water chemistry and prepared to drain a significant portion of your water to control the CYA level. Normally just not worth the trouble.
3. The Hasa Liquidator is what I use. It is pretty simple to use and works well, but for an AG pool it sometimes needs some tweaking because of the short plumbing run from equipment to pool.

Your 100ppm CYA is your main problem. It renders your chlorine relatively ineffective, algae gets started and then the chlorinator can't keep up. The CYA test isn't able to measure high levels well, so your actual CYA may be higher.

The "easiest" way to add liquid chlorine to a pool is manually IMO. After you get used to everything it takes about 5 minutes every day (or every other day when you know your pool) to check chlorine and pH levels, calculate how much to add, measure it and dump it in...

If you travel a lot and don't have someone to help while your out you may want to investigate a liquidator or dosing with a chemical metering pump (i.e. Stenner pump).

Hey - Welcome to the forum!!!

I have been slamming the pool since last post (10gallons of bleach) and have drained out enough water to get from 100 CYA to 41CYA. Water is clear but still seeing some brown algae and yellowish algae in center or pool. Below are my latest test results from pool store. Should I keep slamming to get CC down to below .2 or keep FC at 2.7 and wait for TC to come down.
PH 7.9
TA 105
FC 2.7
TC 4.16
CC 1.46
CH 69
CYA 41

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on your drain and new CYA of 41.

You can't really SLAM without a FAS/DPD chlorine test. Neither you or the pool store can measure FC high enough without it, and I haven't seen a pool store yet that had any idea what a FAS/DPD test was.

You can order this on its own right here:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

I do strongly suggest you get the full TF-100 test kit from the same site so you can take over management and testing, rather than depending on a pool store. The CYA test is something they routinely get wrong, so let's hope that 41 is the right number.

Welcome to TFP.

It will help you immensely to get your own test kit. I suspect you are not "SLAM"ing your pool.
Shock
Level (for your CYA)
And
Maintain

This means you need to raise your FC to your shock level and KEEP IT THERE until the water is clear, you have no CC's and you can pass an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT). If that CYA reading from a pool store can be counted on (usually not) then your shock level needs to be over 16 and maintained at that level (testing as often as possible.....hourly at first if needed) and brought back up to that level as tests suggest. Here is a link to the how to. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

If your chlorine is below 3 as the test says above, you are at nearly minimum for sanitation and nowhere near SLAM level.

Your FC is not anywhere near slam level. With CYA of 41, your SLAM FC is 16. Raise the FC to 16 ppm or a couple higher and keep it there until you pass the slam as evidenced by;
- water is clear
- CC is less than .5
- you pass the over night chlorine loss test.

You need first to lower the PH to around 7.2 before raising the FC
backwash/ clean filter when the pressure rises 20 - 25% above the clean pressure. Run the pump 24/7

You definitely are going to need the TF100 test kit. Its way more accurate than the pool store testing or the strips. You will need to test several times a day and evening in order to know what your FC levels are... the FC will drop by virtue of destrying themselves by killing algae and form the UV rays. Try not to let the FC drop below 16 if you can help it.

If you have a pool light. Check behind it for alage. The stuff loves to hide behind pool lights.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
I have been slamming the pool since last post (10gallons of bleach) and have drained out enough water to get from 100 CYA to 41CYA. Water is clear but still seeing some brown algae and yellowish algae in center or pool. Below are my latest test results from pool store. Should I keep slamming to get CC down to below .2 or keep FC at 2.7 and wait for TC to come down.
PH 7.9
TA 105
FC 2.7
TC 4.16
CC 1.46
CH 69
CYA 41

I have ordered a tf-100 test kit should be here before the weekend. In the mean time I am adding three gallons of 8% bleach per day to try and maintain control until the kit arrives. I notice algae still building up in the center of the pool. I only have test strips and they indicate my free chlorine is above 10. How much I can't tell. Should I add more to be safe until test kit arrives. Or should I take another sample to the pool store for testing and use their results to adjust until kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.