Slamming Complete? And What to do with "Bad" chlorine

Trout Baby

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just found TFP a few weeks ago, and it has been a real education. Actually defeated the worst algae problem I've ever had to deal with, and learned why and how I've been contributing to the problem. I join all posters in expressing appreciation for all the expertise shared, and I also became a supporter- the only way I can say thanks since I'm a real Newbie with all questions and no answers.

So, armed with my TF-100 test kit and lots of liquid chlorine and bleach, I've been slamming my pool because of some light green coloration late last week. Here are my latest numbers:

Last night: FC: 26 CC: 0 CYA: 60

This morning: FC: 26 CC: less than .5, probably 0 (thought MAYBE I saw a bit of pale pink but 1 drop R-0871 made it completely clear ) CYA: 60

The only reason I'm not sure I can stop is that I thought I might still be seeing a tiny bit of a very pale green yesterday afternoon. Did my testing later in the evening and got those numbers. Pool looks good today and it has been abnormally cool here- High-upper 60s, low- upper 50s. I have been dealing with bad algae problems lately so the past improvements have been dramatic. I guess in the past when the pool looked like it did yesterday it only got worse, but that was before I discovered TFP. So, am I finished with the slamming for now, and just do my daily tests? I backwashed a few times and refilled with fresh water to start to lower my CYA which had been at 70 and is falling. (#*!Tablets)

I am now completely convinced about liquid chlorine and follow all the TFP guidelines, use Pool Math, etc. But I was proud of myself this spring when I stocked up on chlorine tablets and "Aqua Chem Shock Plus 4-in-1 Pool Shock" when Costco had a sale. Now I'm kicking myself. Has anyone come up with a use for this stuff? I am looking into the cost of CYA decreaser- I'll do the math to see if it makes any sense at all to use, but I hate to waste all of my bad chlorine. And are there rules about how to dispose of it? Too bad I'm no longer washing cotton diapers! ;) Maybe I can donate it to a pool store.

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no such thing as a CYA decreaser that works. You would have to replace water or get a RO service.

The tablets will store for a very long time where you can use them if you need to add some CYA in the future. BUT, what is 4-in-1? If they include copper, then I would not recommend using them. You actually may be able to take them back to Costco if you are not satisfied with them.

If there's any doubt about passing "The Water is Clear," keep up the SLAM. At this point, it's probably only a minimal amount of chlorine lost, but it could save you dozens of gallons later on.

Hang onto the dry chlorine. It will keep a long time if it's kept sealed. You may need to boost the CYA next spring if you drain down to winterize. Pucks are also handy when you want to leave town for a few days.

Here's a thread that tells you what's in that 4-in-1 stuff. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-059-Do-we-know-any-more-about-4-in-1-dichlor

I still have granulated 73% hypo and a tub of 3" pucks. I use them when needed. The important part is knowing what they do to the pool and since you have your numbers, you should be good for occassional use. For example yesterday we had a very windy day with lots of tree stuff getting blown into the pool. Since my FC, CYA and CH numbers could use a bump, instead of "boosting" my SWG, I threw a couple pucks in the floater and dumped 5 oz granulated in there to get the FC from 3.5 to 5.0 (My CYA is 60 on a salt pool and should be 70). So it is useful, just not full time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.