DIY (mostly) remodel in SE New Mexico

Jun 1, 2011
Carlsbad, NM
For starters, I wished we had taken more pictures. (and to just with our phones). Back in January, I had a dyed and stamped concrete patio poured to complete our 800sf addition. I'll add some pictures of the addition too. It was also diy, with the concrete and stucco being the only things I contracted. The new patio cut accross the existing pool deck, so I removed a section and tried to make it look descent until I was ready to remodel the pool.

IMAG0107_zps0c0651ec.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
At this point I decided we we going to remove the epoxy pea gravel deck. I just couldn't take any more walking on the stuff with bare feet. I bought a concrete saw and 70lb jack hammer and went to town.
ZOE_0003_zps793f09c2.jpg

A week later and about twenty loads in the back of my Titan, we were done. I had a pool builder come out and take a look at the condition of the plaster. He recommended epoxy, but I was against that idea. So we agreed on a chip out and replaster. I will be installing the waterline tile and doing all repairs.

Attachments

• ZOE_0002.jpg
    ZOE_0002.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 204
We stared to drain it and realized the plaster was worse than we thought.
IMAG0119_zpsgaz2q9hm.jpg

Then it was time for the chip out. This revealed quite a bit of damage, including several large cracks in the spa wall. After much research, I installed carbon fiber staples.
IMAG0131_zpsfmn6dakj.jpg

Many places on the bond beam had exposed rebar. I formed up and re-poured them.
IMAG0132_zpsg9nflsix.jpg

IMAG0138_zpsltwux3yl.jpg

IMAG0143_zpsegg8jj7o.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, I screwed expansion joints at the waterline tile level and applied mud to establish a base for the tile. The surface was to rough to tile over. I didn't like the spa wall being lower than the bond beam, so I built that up to. We just finished the grey glass tile and grouting. I'll snap a picture of that tonight. This week we will be cutting the flagstone for the deck. (When I say "we", it refers to my wife and I. No other professional help)

So most of the stones and flagstone are dry set.

IMAG0178_zpsiida3mwn.jpg

Last night we leak tested all the plumbing, with the exception of the spa drain. We ran out of daylight. I'll do it tonight. I bought a kit from Anderson for about $400. It had everything needed to do 1 1/2 and 2" lines. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but plumbers around here charge at least that much to check one line. I'm sure I can sell the kit on Ebay to recover most of my investment. Anyone want a good deal on a nearly new setup? When we tested the spa returns, all three fittings leaked around cracks. Looks like the guys doing the chip out damaged them. No big deal, I'll just core drill around them and glue in new fittings. Three pool returns had the eyeball fitting adapters glued to the inside of the 1 1/2" pipe. Must have been a retrofit from a previous replaster. The pressure test revealed bad glue joints, so I removed them. Just a few more parts to add to the Amazon list. We also had a suction line for a cleaner that was not plumbed in at the equipment pad. I always wondered why it wasn't. I was afraid it leaked, but it passed fine. All I have to do is add a Jandy three way and my Pool Cleaner has its own line. No more cleaner or skimmer, I can have both at the same time. Our pool also was a main drain on its own line, so I have many options for keeping the flow just right. I'll add this for someone who may be searching later: Jandy valves will hold pressure (25 psi) during a leak test. All I had to do is turn the valve to block off the section of plumbing I was testing. No cutting of pipes to do the leak testing.

IMAG0186_zps22yrrzfj.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.