Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY (mostly) remodel in SE New Mexico

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY (mostly) remodel in SE New Mexico

For starters, I wished we had taken more pictures. (and to just with our phones). Back in January, I had a dyed and stamped concrete patio poured to complete our 800sf addition. I'll add some pictures of the addition too. It was also diy, with the concrete and stucco being the only things I contracted. The new patio cut accross the existing pool deck, so I removed a section and tried to make it look descent until I was ready to remodel the pool.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smracing; 07-30-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: fixing pictures
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY (mostly) remodel in SE New Mexico

At this point I decided we we going to remove the epoxy pea gravel deck. I just couldn't take any more walking on the stuff with bare feet. I bought a concrete saw and 70lb jack hammer and went to town.

A week later and about twenty loads in the back of my Titan, we were done. I had a pool builder come out and take a look at the condition of the plaster. He recommended epoxy, but I was against that idea. So we agreed on a chip out and replaster. I will be installing the waterline tile and doing all repairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

3. Back To Top    #3

As if this wasn't a big enough project, I decided to build an outdoor kitchen.

4. Back To Top    #4

We stared to drain it and realized the plaster was worse than we thought.

Then it was time for the chip out. This revealed quite a bit of damage, including several large cracks in the spa wall. After much research, I installed carbon fiber staples.

Many places on the bond beam had exposed rebar. I formed up and re-poured them.

5. Back To Top    #5

As you can see in the pictures, I screwed expansion joints at the waterline tile level and applied mud to establish a base for the tile. The surface was to rough to tile over. I didn't like the spa wall being lower than the bond beam, so I built that up to. We just finished the grey glass tile and grouting. I'll snap a picture of that tonight. This week we will be cutting the flagstone for the deck. (When I say "we", it refers to my wife and I. No other professional help)

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a shot of the glass waterline tile. It is difficult to get a picture of. It either shows up dark or the iridescence reflect a bunch of light. Far more impressive in person.

My progress so far dry setting the flagstone coping.

7. Back To Top    #7

Impressive!

The pictures in your last few posts did not show.
    35x18 21,300 Gallon Pool with 8 752 Gallon Overflow Spa || IG || Plaster || DE Filter (American Products) 48 SQ FT || American Model 72 Separation Tank) || GAS Pool Heater (Comfort Zone) || 1HP Jandy || 1.5HP Sta-rite Dura Glas pump || Maryland || TF100 Testkit

8. Back To Top    #8

I envy you the confidence and skills to take this on. Keep posting more pics!! I love watching the progress.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

So most of the stones and flagstone are dry set.

Last night we leak tested all the plumbing, with the exception of the spa drain. We ran out of daylight. I'll do it tonight. I bought a kit from Anderson for about $400. It had everything needed to do 1 1/2 and 2" lines. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but plumbers around here charge at least that much to check one line. I'm sure I can sell the kit on Ebay to recover most of my investment. Anyone want a good deal on a nearly new setup? When we tested the spa returns, all three fittings leaked around cracks. Looks like the guys doing the chip out damaged them. No big deal, I'll just core drill around them and glue in new fittings. Three pool returns had the eyeball fitting adapters glued to the inside of the 1 1/2" pipe. Must have been a retrofit from a previous replaster. The pressure test revealed bad glue joints, so I removed them. Just a few more parts to add to the Amazon list. We also had a suction line for a cleaner that was not plumbed in at the equipment pad. I always wondered why it wasn't. I was afraid it leaked, but it passed fine. All I have to do is add a Jandy three way and my Pool Cleaner has its own line. No more cleaner or skimmer, I can have both at the same time. Our pool also was a main drain on its own line, so I have many options for keeping the flow just right. I'll add this for someone who may be searching later: Jandy valves will hold pressure (25 psi) during a leak test. All I had to do is turn the valve to block off the section of plumbing I was testing. No cutting of pipes to do the leak testing.

10. Back To Top    #10

WOW! That is a lot of work. I love the little helper LOL so cute!

I can't wait to see the end results.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Flagstone and rock coping is complete. I underestimated how much work it was. I'm just glad to be done. Next up is the grey plaster. I need to get a real camera.