Balance which chemical first?

FC 3
TC 3
PH 7.9
ALK 110
CH 100
CYA 20

I need to reduce my PH and ALK and increase my CYA. Which one should I do first? Recommended numbers for a vinyl pool with SWG are CYA 70 - 80, PH 7.5, ALK 60 - 80. I use the SWG to maintain my FC but I use bleach to increase it or SLAM when necessary. I SLAM'd when the pool was opened because I had algae.

Lower the pH and start the CYA dissolving ... these can be done as closely together as you can get to them. No delay required.

Ignore the TA, it should balance out as you maintain the pH.

Thank you for the info. I haven't put the chemicals in yet because I need to get my water level up so we can backwash first. We haven't had any rain in a couple of weeks. I have another issue now. My pool turned cloudy overnight and my FC and TC fell from 3 to 1.5. I'm assuming I have alga and need to SLAM it. Should I get the PH and CYA straight before I do this?

Timerguy I'm in Maryland. I'll add that to my profile. I didn't realize it wasn't there.

Thank you for the info. I haven't put the chemicals in yet because I need to get my water level up so we can backwash first. We haven't had any rain in a couple of weeks. I have another issue now. My pool turned cloudy overnight and my FC and TC fell from 3 to 1.5. I'm assuming I have alga and need to SLAM it. Should I get the PH and CYA straight before I do this?

Timerguy I'm in Maryland. I'll add that to my profile. I didn't realize it wasn't there.
The pH needs to be fixed before you go crazy with the bleach. It's in the Shock Level And Maintain directions. It's your choice whether you raise CYA now or later. If you raise it now, stop at 30 CYA, then raise it the rest of the way after the SLAM is completed.

The pH and CYA did not make the water cloudy ... a lack of FC makes the water turn cloudy.

But, with your low CYA and still having 1.5ppm of FC, the cloudiness is a little surprising.

Certainly would not hurt to follow the SLAM process, but you need to lower the pH first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.