Cracked the Hayward Ecostar protocol

Jan 26, 2011
I got together with another pool owner, and through email over a long distance, we broke the control protocol for the Ecostar pump. I've been annoyed by Hayward's tactic of only giving a high, low setting on their P4 controller (with a software upgrade naturally), so this was something I've wanted to do for a couple of years now. The protocol turned out to be relatively simple, but it took a few weeks of poking around to get it working. I documented it on my blog http://www.desert-home.com/2014/07/controlling-hayward-ecostar-pump.html for all to see and use.

So now you folk that are tired of using relays or resetting the high and low speeds on your controller for remote operation can grab one of the little computers like the Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Beagle Board, etc. and get full control of the speed with returned values for actual speed and power usage.

Have fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.