Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked the Hayward Ecostar protocol

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked the Hayward Ecostar protocol

I got together with another pool owner, and through email over a long distance, we broke the control protocol for the Ecostar pump. I've been annoyed by Hayward's tactic of only giving a high, low setting on their P4 controller (with a software upgrade naturally), so this was something I've wanted to do for a couple of years now. The protocol turned out to be relatively simple, but it took a few weeks of poking around to get it working. I documented it on my blog for all to see and use.

So now you folk that are tired of using relays or resetting the high and low speeds on your controller for remote operation can grab one of the little computers like the Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Beagle Board, etc. and get full control of the speed with returned values for actual speed and power usage.

Have fun.
    Trying to keep my house under control

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Cracked the Hayward Ecostar protocol

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Double Neat

I figured it was probably a pretty simple protocol. It also sounds like they have the watchdog timer set for 2,000 milliseconds.

I like how you figured out the power bytes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yorktown Heights, NY

That's awesome! I was thinking of attempting the same thing with my Ecostar so I could connect it via Raspberry Pi.
    Thank you!!
    23,000 gal plaster pool w/overflow spa
    Hayward EcoStar pump
    Hayward c4030 425 sq. ft. cartridge filter