Cloudy Pool After algae treatment

Jul 29, 2014
LaGrange, KY
Hi! We have had an above ground 30 foot pool for three seasons and have never had it turn green. Came home from vacay a few weeks ago and it was very green (green slimy steps, etc.) after lots of shock, Algaecide, balance paks, vacuuming, scrubbing and filter cleanings (we have a cartridge we always run 24/7) we now have a cloudy aquamarine colored pool. We added clarifier 36 hours ago and now the filter is finally green when we pull it out-it had been white even when we had algae. I don't have numbers, but have taken many trips to pool store and they say our numbers look good. I'm cleaning filter every 3 hours and vacuuming and created a central drain with hose and scrub brush. There is no longer green on the steps. I can't see bottom of pool yet though.
What should we do?! This is new territory for us. Do I continue with clarifier? Get a new cartridge? Add flocculent and vacuum to waste? Wait? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

The best thing to do is quit going to the pool store. They have you adding a lot of things you don't need. You need chlorine, chlorine and more chlorine. No balance packs, algaecides or clarifiers. Check out Defeating Algae for guidance on clearing the pool.

Thanks JohnT. I will read the info. We have shocked our pool several times! Our chlorine levels are high and continue to be. I am not sure if anything is still growing-I don't think there is. The pool is more blue than green at this point. I thought that shocking/slamming would lead to a milky white then clear pool with debris on the bottom. What could this change in color indicate? We have about two to three feet of visibility in a 48 inch pool. The walls and stairs are clean-not green or slimy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.