I'm a new pool owner (an 11,500 gallon IG pebble in case it doesn't show up in my signature) in Tucson, Ariz., and I've enjoyed lurking and reading lots and lots of threads over the last few weeks. You guys are amazing. Here's the story: previous owners relied on tabs and power powder. So here's what we have, after the overnight FC test, which I just completed:.
FC: 10 (was 14.5 before bed)
CC: .5 (.5 before bed0
PH: 7.2 (yesterday, before I added a lot of bleach. this morning 7.5)
CYA: 240 (used 1/3 pool water, 2/3 tap water and multiplied by 3 to arrive at this number)
CH: 2100 (!) (fill water here is 70)
Here are some starting questions:
1) I realize I need to drain and refill. Is the heat an issue with my pebble pool, or can I drain this anytime, day or night?
2) Theoretically, could I operate this pool economically with such high CYA and CH levels if I managed to keep FC at a high baseline and kept PH down at 7.2?
3) What should I do to clean the pool while it's emptying? Can I just refill right away? Overall, seems pretty clean, but I haven't seen this pool in its truly clean state.
4) We get lots of evaporation here, so I've been adding water every few days (at least, I think it's evaporation). I guess this is one of the things that's making my CH so high, the other being the previous owner's liberal use of powder. Is this just something I'm going to have to live with?
5) We have a jandy valve at the pool to control between Kreepy Krauly and skimmer (pool has a main drain but it seems to be inoperative; there's no diverter in the skimmer, just two empty holes). I cleaned the cartridges a few weeks ago, bringing the PSI in the filter down to 12, and now it's back up to about 20, and the Krauly is going slow or not at all (unless I really open the valve). Why doesn't the Krauly want to work — is it just pressure related? I don't see debris in the Krauly mouth and regularly clean the skimmer/pump baskets.
6) I notice that the filter pressure varies depending on how much I leave the Kreepy Krauly valve on vs. skimmer — generally, it lowers a couple PSI when the Kreepy Krauly is really going at it, if I can get it to really go at it. Normal?
7) Considering either an SWG or a liquidator, mainly for those times when I'm away. Any truth to the rumor that bees are attracted to SWG pools? Should I just rely on tabs for vacations (I don't travel that much) and keep an eye on CYA?
8) In general, I'd like to rely on dry acid when needed, rather than muriatic, since we have a 1-year-old here and I'd rather work with the less hazardous material. Is that going to break the bank?
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
- - - Updated - - -
P.S. I realize I asked too many questions. Just got excited. Sorry!