ROI for a pool in North Texas

Every area is different so I would talk to a local real estate agent. But in many markets just as many people want a pool as don't want one so in some cases, it doesn't add much in value and in some cases it might actually reduce the property valve.

I guess each area is different. I am not far from you, but in a different type of locale (rural vs suburban). So the ROI will probably be different for you than it is for me.

You are asking the same types of questions I was a few months ago when we were thinking about it. Bottom line, if you are going to be staying in your house for a long time and you and your family really want a pool (and you can honestly say that you will use it), then I say go for it. Is it a "smart" investment? Absolutely not. I'm building ours with the knowledge that most likely this is not going to come back to me. For us, it isn't an investment monetarily...but more of an investment in our lives and in the enjoyment of our home. We already spend a LOT of time in our backyard as it is, even with just grass. So to us it is worth it.

I had to look at it like this: My pool that was functional, but needed a remodel is a turn off to buyers. A new pool often gives buyers the illusion that there will be no costs associated with ownership. I expect very little ROI but the house will appeal to a larger group of buyers.

I guess each area is different. I am not far from you, but in a different type of locale (rural vs suburban). So the ROI will probably be different for you than it is for me.

You are asking the same types of questions I was a few months ago when we were thinking about it. Bottom line, if you are going to be staying in your house for a long time and you and your family really want a pool (and you can honestly say that you will use it), then I say go for it. Is it a "smart" investment? Absolutely not. I'm building ours with the knowledge that most likely this is not going to come back to me. For us, it isn't an investment monetarily...but more of an investment in our lives and in the enjoyment of our home. We already spend a LOT of time in our backyard as it is, even with just grass. So to us it is worth it.

+1 on this. I will say the rule of thumb is the investment in a pool should not be more than 10% of the total value of the property. Anything over that is not a sound use of money or a good ROI. Having said that, I violated that rule of thumb by a factor of 10 because this is where I will retire when the time comes and my wife and I plan getting a lot of years of enjoyment and relaxation out of our project and feel its worth every penny we put into it:eek:

Yeah we are going to blow that 10% rule out of the water. By the way, where did that figure come from? Based upon that logic only $600,000 homes could build a basic IG gunite pool with a raised spa in our area with no water features or anything extra. We too are going to be in this house for a long time so we are exceeding that figure with ease.

I would also say it depends on the local market, pool construction cost does not seem to vary by as much as the bang for the buck that you get when you buy a house in one market vs another. Where I live $600,000 will buy you a less than 10 year old 4,500+ sq foot nicely appointed house (marble counter tops, gunite pool, outdoor cooking area, etc.) with a remote operated gated driveway on 5-10 acres of land. In other parts of the country it will buy you a 50 year old 900 sq ft house on 1/5th of an acre.

Yeah we are going to blow that 10% rule out of the water. By the way, where did that figure come from? Based upon that logic only $600,000 homes could build a basic IG gunite pool with a raised spa in our area with no water features or anything extra. We too are going to be in this house for a long time so we are exceeding that figure with ease.

1. There were many sites that put into perspective or suggested that to get a ROI that makes sense you should not invest more than 10%-15%. Of course because you read it on the net does not make it right or wrong. I have sold two prior houses with pools that we lived in and my guess is that we may have gotten a 10% premium.

In some areas, adding a pool may increase your annual property taxes, but it won’t necessarily add to your home’s selling price. For that reason, try to keep your total building cost between 10% and 15% of what you paid for your house, lest you invest too much in an amenity that won’t pay you back.

Read more: http://www.houselogic.com/home-advic...#ixzz38x8A9DRc
Follow us: @HouseLogic on Twitter | HouseLogic on Facebook

This was one site:

http://www.houselogic.com/home-advic...building_pool/

- - - Updated - - -

Again, like you, We happily exceeded that rule of thumb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ssalter98 said:
What % of return on investment can we expect for a pool in North Texas?
Depends on a lot of factors, but the short answer in determining whether to go for a pool should be how much use/enjoyment that you plan to get from the pool along with your best estimate on how long you plan on living in your current house.

A few years ago, we moved into our current house. Part of the reason for making the move was that we wanted a pool for exercise, entertaining, and relief from the usual (but not so much this year) Texas heat. A majority of houses in our new neighborhood have a pool. However, our former neighborhood - only a mile away - was a different story as only about 15-20% (estimated based upon my eyeballing Google Maps aerial shots) of the homes had pool. What we were told at the time is that pools installed in houses under ~ $225K had a harder time selling than those without. Above that price point, the pool became a more attractive amenity.

Pool builders told us it's a great investment and you will get most if not all your money back. Realtors told us just the opposite, rarely does a pool increase the value of your property. It may increase the appeal, but most buyers do not want to pay for your pool. Outdoor living areas are another story - you will get every penny of that back. Pools are expensive here and the 10% rule would not be realistic for most of us - that might buy us a spa or a very small wading pool with no features. That being said, if you don't plan on staying in your house, I would not build your dream water park that's equivalent to half the cost of your home! We put the pool in for us to enjoy not for resale value.

I would think the warmer the climate (or the longer swimming season) is, the more ROI we get on a pool at resale. In Texas maybe 50-60%, especially in a neighborhood with lots of pools in home's backyards. North of 40 degrees latitude, maybe no ROI... or even a negative at resale?

Here in Northern CA, with a very long swim season, a pool can be both a liability or an asset. It really depends on who the buyer is. Most Realtors here will tell you the split is about 50/50 which is why about 1/2 the houses have pools and half don't. So I would not count on any ROI.

One other personal note to add, if I were house shopping, and the house I was looking at had a pool, it would not necessarily be a positive thing, it depends on the pool. I would rather buy a house without a pool and add one IF the pool were either of low quality, or of the wrong type/size.

When we were house shopping last year we found that a pool typically added between 7 and 10 thousand to the price of a house-- at least in the parts of Dallas we were shopping.

That makes the ROI terrible for putting in an inground pool ;) I wasn't going to buy a house without one, though because I'd much rather someone else pay for the pool (or at least a majority of it since ours needs a refresh) Think about it: how many house flippers do you see putting in new pools? There is a reason for that...

We knew going in, we weren't going to get the return on investment, but due to several personal reasons decided to go forward with the build. We're rural property and 1/2 the houses have pools and 1/2 don't - so like TwoLabs - a buyer of my house may not be as interested in the pool as they are the horse barns or cross fenced pastures. Also, we totally busted the rule of thumb on the investment as well as the cost of our build will exceed 10% of the property value (but it includes an outdoor kitchen and living area). Like others on here (not mentioning any names MartinKennedy :), 1) we don't plan on moving 2) since we compete our horses, almost every weekend is spent in Texas training or showing - so no $$$ spent on other types of vacations or second homes 3) we want the pool for exercise and relaxation - and figured rather than buy a second home, we'll just make the house we spend all of our time out the place we want to spend all of our time at. 4) we're paying cash, we're debt free and have no children - so my motto of "spend whatever that right number is that gets you through retirement, long term care and leaves you with zero" is in play here.

And even with all of our pool build issues, and even though I said previously, I wouldn't build again, I would buy a home with a pool - I completely agree with Isaac-1. I would avoid a house with a pool I didn't like and buy a house with an area to build a pool if those were my choices.

-Karen

We are definitively max out the 15% Rule on our pool build. I thought of moving into a house that already have a pool, but then I thought the hassles and money involves with moving and purchasing a new home make me hesitate...plus we really love our house with a hugh front yard and the schools that my children are going to. Plus, many existing pools may need to br renovated..... So, we went ahead and build our pool in our narrow back yard....will be great when it is finished though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.