Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROI for a pool in North Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

ROI for a pool in North Texas

What % of return on investment can we expect for a pool in North Texas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ROI for a pool in North Texas

Every area is different so I would talk to a local real estate agent. But in many markets just as many people want a pool as don't want one so in some cases, it doesn't add much in value and in some cases it might actually reduce the property valve.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalter98 View Post
    North Texas is one of the hottest pool markets in the country. Pools consistently rank #1 as top wish list items for buyers. Based on what I have experienced, you can expect anywhere from 50-70% return based upon neighborhood.
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess each area is different. I am not far from you, but in a different type of locale (rural vs suburban). So the ROI will probably be different for you than it is for me.

You are asking the same types of questions I was a few months ago when we were thinking about it. Bottom line, if you are going to be staying in your house for a long time and you and your family really want a pool (and you can honestly say that you will use it), then I say go for it. Is it a "smart" investment? Absolutely not. I'm building ours with the knowledge that most likely this is not going to come back to me. For us, it isn't an investment monetarily...but more of an investment in our lives and in the enjoyment of our home. We already spend a LOT of time in our backyard as it is, even with just grass. So to us it is worth it.

5. Back To Top    #5

I had to look at it like this: My pool that was functional, but needed a remodel is a turn off to buyers. A new pool often gives buyers the illusion that there will be no costs associated with ownership. I expect very little ROI but the house will appeal to a larger group of buyers.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ask any competent Realtor and they will tell you that it all depends on the buyer. For some it is a plus, for others it is a minus. For that reason I would assume that ROI is, on average, zero.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Twolabs View Post
    I guess each area is different. I am not far from you, but in a different type of locale (rural vs suburban). So the ROI will probably be different for you than it is for me.

You are asking the same types of questions I was a few months ago when we were thinking about it. Bottom line, if you are going to be staying in your house for a long time and you and your family really want a pool (and you can honestly say that you will use it), then I say go for it. Is it a "smart" investment? Absolutely not. I'm building ours with the knowledge that most likely this is not going to come back to me. For us, it isn't an investment monetarily...but more of an investment in our lives and in the enjoyment of our home. We already spend a LOT of time in our backyard as it is, even with just grass. So to us it is worth it.
    +1 on this. I will say the rule of thumb is the investment in a pool should not be more than 10% of the total value of the property. Anything over that is not a sound use of money or a good ROI. Having said that, I violated that rule of thumb by a factor of 10 because this is where I will retire when the time comes and my wife and I plan getting a lot of years of enjoyment and relaxation out of our project and feel its worth every penny we put into it

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah we are going to blow that 10% rule out of the water. By the way, where did that figure come from? Based upon that logic only $600,000 homes could build a basic IG gunite pool with a raised spa in our area with no water features or anything extra. We too are going to be in this house for a long time so we are exceeding that figure with ease.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I would also say it depends on the local market, pool construction cost does not seem to vary by as much as the bang for the buck that you get when you buy a house in one market vs another. Where I live $600,000 will buy you a less than 10 year old 4,500+ sq foot nicely appointed house (marble counter tops, gunite pool, outdoor cooking area, etc.) with a remote operated gated driveway on 5-10 acres of land. In other parts of the country it will buy you a 50 year old 900 sq ft house on 1/5th of an acre.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Twolabs View Post
    Yeah we are going to blow that 10% rule out of the water. By the way, where did that figure come from? Based upon that logic only $600,000 homes could build a basic IG gunite pool with a raised spa in our area with no water features or anything extra. We too are going to be in this house for a long time so we are exceeding that figure with ease.
    1. There were many sites that put into perspective or suggested that to get a ROI that makes sense you should not invest more than 10%-15%. Of course because you read it on the net does not make it right or wrong. I have sold two prior houses with pools that we lived in and my guess is that we may have gotten a 10% premium.

In some areas, adding a pool may increase your annual property taxes, but it won’t necessarily add to your home’s selling price. For that reason, try to keep your total building cost between 10% and 15% of what you paid for your house, lest you invest too much in an amenity that won’t pay you back.

Read more: http://www.houselogic.com/home-advic...#ixzz38x8A9DRc
    Follow us: @HouseLogic on Twitter | HouseLogic on Facebook

This was one site:

http://www.houselogic.com/home-advic...building_pool/

- - - Updated - - -

Again, like you, We happily exceeded that rule of thumb

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalter98
    Depends on a lot of factors, but the short answer in determining whether to go for a pool should be how much use/enjoyment that you plan to get from the pool along with your best estimate on how long you plan on living in your current house.

A few years ago, we moved into our current house. Part of the reason for making the move was that we wanted a pool for exercise, entertaining, and relief from the usual (but not so much this year) Texas heat. A majority of houses in our new neighborhood have a pool. However, our former neighborhood - only a mile away - was a different story as only about 15-20% (estimated based upon my eyeballing Google Maps aerial shots) of the homes had pool. What we were told at the time is that pools installed in houses under ~ $225K had a harder time selling than those without. Above that price point, the pool became a more attractive amenity.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool builders told us it's a great investment and you will get most if not all your money back. Realtors told us just the opposite, rarely does a pool increase the value of your property. It may increase the appeal, but most buyers do not want to pay for your pool. Outdoor living areas are another story - you will get every penny of that back. Pools are expensive here and the 10% rule would not be realistic for most of us - that might buy us a spa or a very small wading pool with no features. That being said, if you don't plan on staying in your house, I would not build your dream water park that's equivalent to half the cost of your home! We put the pool in for us to enjoy not for resale value.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

13. Back To Top    #13

I was told it can add up to 25% of the pools cost but that in certain areas it definitely increases appeal and saleability.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

14. Back To Top    #14

I would think the warmer the climate (or the longer swimming season) is, the more ROI we get on a pool at resale. In Texas maybe 50-60%, especially in a neighborhood with lots of pools in home's backyards. North of 40 degrees latitude, maybe no ROI... or even a negative at resale?
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Here in Northern CA, with a very long swim season, a pool can be both a liability or an asset. It really depends on who the buyer is. Most Realtors here will tell you the split is about 50/50 which is why about 1/2 the houses have pools and half don't. So I would not count on any ROI.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

One other personal note to add, if I were house shopping, and the house I was looking at had a pool, it would not necessarily be a positive thing, it depends on the pool. I would rather buy a house without a pool and add one IF the pool were either of low quality, or of the wrong type/size.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

When we were house shopping last year we found that a pool typically added between 7 and 10 thousand to the price of a house-- at least in the parts of Dallas we were shopping.

That makes the ROI terrible for putting in an inground pool I wasn't going to buy a house without one, though because I'd much rather someone else pay for the pool (or at least a majority of it since ours needs a refresh) Think about it: how many house flippers do you see putting in new pools? There is a reason for that...
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

We knew going in, we weren't going to get the return on investment, but due to several personal reasons decided to go forward with the build. We're rural property and 1/2 the houses have pools and 1/2 don't - so like TwoLabs - a buyer of my house may not be as interested in the pool as they are the horse barns or cross fenced pastures. Also, we totally busted the rule of thumb on the investment as well as the cost of our build will exceed 10% of the property value (but it includes an outdoor kitchen and living area). Like others on here (not mentioning any names MartinKennedy , 1) we don't plan on moving 2) since we compete our horses, almost every weekend is spent in Texas training or showing - so no $$$ spent on other types of vacations or second homes 3) we want the pool for exercise and relaxation - and figured rather than buy a second home, we'll just make the house we spend all of our time out the place we want to spend all of our time at. 4) we're paying cash, we're debt free and have no children - so my motto of "spend whatever that right number is that gets you through retirement, long term care and leaves you with zero" is in play here.

And even with all of our pool build issues, and even though I said previously, I wouldn't build again, I would buy a home with a pool - I completely agree with Isaac-1. I would avoid a house with a pool I didn't like and buy a house with an area to build a pool if those were my choices.

-Karen
    New in 2017, will update

19. Back To Top    #19

We love our pool much more than we thought we would. It cost 1000 bucks per swim the first summer and every swim thereafter is free!

20. Back To Top    #20

We are definitively max out the 15% Rule on our pool build. I thought of moving into a house that already have a pool, but then I thought the hassles and money involves with moving and purchasing a new home make me hesitate...plus we really love our house with a hugh front yard and the schools that my children are going to. Plus, many existing pools may need to br renovated..... So, we went ahead and build our pool in our narrow back yard....will be great when it is finished though
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast