Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My fist sign of algae

1. Back To Top    #1

My fist sign of algae

I was swimming yesterday and noticed that at the bottoms of our rock waterfall there was a little algae. Now this part of the rock is out of water but water movement makes it touch. Water looks perfect will do an overnight test tonight to see but these were my numbers around 5pm
    FC 5.5
    Ta 80
    Cc .5
    Ph 7.5
    Cya 60 going to buy some conditioner tomorrow using pucks had not appeared to raise it
    So not sure how to treat this as it's on the rock right above te waterline. These. Are faux rock btw
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: My fist sign of algae

Just use some diluted bleach in a spray bottle to clean the area. Any over-spray will just go in the pool and cause no harm. I used diluted bleach and diluted Muratic Acid for cleaning around the pool as they are both things that would normally be going in the water.

If you used pucks you can use Pool Math to figure how much they raised your CYA. There is a testing error and the amount raised may be in there. Just be careful with additions as you don't want to overshoot your goal.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Perrysburg, OH

Also remember when you raise your CYA you will need to maintain higher FC levels. You're just above minimum for current levels as is...
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Houston, Texas

It looks like he has a SWG and his FC is right on target and above the minimum. This is from pool school. The text above the summary says to keep CL between 4-6 and he's at 5.5.

Here is the summary for SWG's:

To summarize:
    FC 3-5 ppm
    PH 7.5-7.8
    TA 60-80
    CH•50-300 for vinyl

•220-320 for fiberglass

•250-350 for plaster

CYA 70-80
    Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level
    Borates 30-50 ppm (optional)
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit