Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small mouse in pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

Small mouse in pool...

I just shocked the pool due to overfilling it and got all the levels back to normal. This AM I found a small mouse in the skimmer dead. Do I shock again or leave it alone?
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small mouse in pool...

I would shock it just because I do not want any mouse cooties in my pool. Ewwwww We had a bat one time. I shocked for that.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What does "shock" mean?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I found one in my skimmer... well I found about 1 per day in my pool for about a week. They must have been thirsty. Usually I would catch them the morning after they fell in, in the skimmer. One day I didn't catch it until the evening after a hot day. So needless to say, when I opened the skimmer cover, it didn't smell like roses. I removed the mouse and put about a cup of bleach directly into the skimmer while the pump was off. I used a toilet brush to scrub the bottom, sides, lid of the skimmer. I then checked the FC and pH as I do daily later in the evening when the pump was running and noticed no difference from a normal evening test and bumped it to 7 FC instead of my normal 5-6 overnight. No issues since.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't worry about it. There are tons of germs from all kinds of sources that regularly enter the pool - that's why we use chlorine in the first place.

I did run across this from the CDC though: If the CDC says "don't worry about it" then you know it's not big deal, lol. They say 2 ppm chlorine will do the trick and I think we all use more than that on a regular basis.

For what it's worth I get about 3 mice a month in my pool and my chlorine never drops below 3.5.
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

6. Back To Top    #6

I've never seen a mouse in my skimmer-- lizards, frogs and sholderless critters yup.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Said the wrong thing when I said Shock. I should have said I raised my FC to SLAM level for the night and let it drift down with sun/time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Semantics Schmantics. If I'm not mistaken, Shock IS the correct term as the first thing in SLAM. Since you had no reason to slam, shocking was appropriate.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What does "shock" mean?
    Shock=scare the bacteria out of the pool with an army of little chlorine monsters, that yell: I am so alkaline I will scare the living acid out of you
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post
    I don't worry about it. There are tons of germs from all kinds of sources that regularly enter the pool - that's why we use chlorine in the first place.

I did run across this from the CDC though: If the CDC says "don't worry about it" then you know it's not big deal, lol. They say 2 ppm chlorine will do the trick and I think we all use more than that on a regular basis.

For what it's worth I get about 3 mice a month in my pool and my chlorine never drops below 3.5.
    Oh I am more than 2 ppm regularly, mostly around 3-5 ppm, I also do tablets with BBB as I get a lot of rain and get to drain the pool and lose CYA. I guess I am good then.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post

I get 3 or 4 per season average for the 50 years I have been running a pool in the same location (on the edge of a hay field). I have never done anything other than throw the corpse back in the field it came from.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.