Another Newbie!

Hello All,

I am a newbie poster located in Cambodia. I have just purchased an Intex 18*52 above ground pool, this is the first time I have had a pool and I have no idea about how to look after pools as I'm from the UK originally.

I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate any assistance those who are more learned than myself can provide.

Background
My pool is going to be located at my holiday house about 2 hours away from my principle residence. Accordingly I will only be able to get down there on weekends.

Questions
If I put the pool cover on, and leave the pump running on a fixed cycle X number of hours per day, will the pool be ok to leave for 1 week at a time? I appreciate this isn't ideal and it would be great if I could monitor this more frequently, however I'm trying to determine if I need to hire a company to look after the pool in my absence?

Questions
I am planning on building a small brick unit to house my pump and store chemicals so that everything can be locked safely away from any potential thieves (the pool will be inside a compound however this is no guarantee) I am a little worried about over heating the pump? Would you think this will be to keep the pump inside?

Question
I have a combined sand and saltwater system, i'm currently reading as much as I can about these systems and the chemistry to properly look after the pool, however given im located in Cambodia I am not sure what filter mediums will be available, how sensitive are these pumps to the filter medium? and what are my options here if a I cannot purchase a specific pool filter medium to put inside my filter.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer, I'm reading everything I can, and this site is a huge resource so many thanks for the assistance. (apologies for grammer and spelling)

regards

James

I think it would be a good idea to incorporate some ventilation into your pump house. In that case I don't think you would have a problem.

You will want pool filter sand if you can get it. Intex goes into detailed specifications, but here in the US, if you buy sand sold as pool filter sand it will meet those specfications without going into all the details.

I also have an intex pool, intex filter, and an intex SWCG. I setup and take down every year. Because of my fill water chemistry (high total alkalinity, and hard water); my pool takes a little more work to keep balanced early in the year. I did take a week vacation early in the year without issue. Also now that I've got my chemistry more dialed in and everything running good, I've taken another vacation of 1-1/2 weeks and came home to a clear balanced pool needing nothing more than a vacuuming. Early in the year I'd be a little hesitant about just weekly maintenance, however now that things are dialed in, and I've got a good feel on how my pool is running, I'd be fine with just weekly maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.