Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If I can't clean my cartridges.

1. Back To Top    #1

If I can't clean my cartridges.

Hi all,
    I am currently recovering from kidney surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. It's been a few weeks a after resorting to tabs I'm trying to get back to the TFPC method.

My cartridges are (over) due for a cleaning but I am not in a condition to do this. Floating in the pool (no swimming) and walking are the limits on my activity. To mitigate the negative effect of this, will it help if I increase the time my pump runs?
    ~12,000 gallon IG pebble pool. Pentair CnC Plus 4-cartridge system, AO Smith 1.5hp single speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If I can't clean my cartridges.

I don't have a clue about the answer to your question, but I wanted to wish you a full and speedy recovery from your surgery!
    24K gallon IG gunite (built 1976), plaster (Diamond Brite) redone (poorly) 2012
    Hayward EC65A DE filter Taylor K2006-C test kit
    Ft. Wright, KY (Cincinnati area)

Don't argue. Just get the kit. TF100 or Taylor K2006C

3. Back To Top    #3

What is the filter pressure now and when the filter is clean?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Smeade.

The pressure starts (clean) at about 10-11 and two nights ago it was at 18. Last night it was at 20 (a quick jump).
    ~12,000 gallon IG pebble pool. Pentair CnC Plus 4-cartridge system, AO Smith 1.5hp single speed

5. Back To Top    #5

With such a high pressure increase and large pump, you run the risk of damaging your filters (collapsing) so I wouldn't run them longer than absolutely necessary for chlorine distribution. As long as you get enough chlorine in your pool, run time is really just about debris removal. BTW, what is the size of your filter (sqft) and when did you last clean them?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

See if you can hire a neighbor kid to remove and spray off with a hose. You would not need to do a thorough clean and soak, just spray the dirt out of the pleats. Good luck with your recovery!!
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

7. Back To Top    #7

We had three dust storms in a row here in the valley so I'm fairly certain that's why the pressure increased so rapidly. I've seen mine go up 2 PSI in 5 days due to the storms and my cartridges are 420 sq ft. Phoenix got hit a little harder than us out here in the East Valley.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

8. Back To Top    #8

Regarding the Sq footage I don't know. There are four cartridges, it is a Clean and Clear Plus.

Also regarding the pressure, I have a tangent question. When I run the floor sweepers instead of the main return, the pressure on a freshly cleaned filter is 30psi. Is the danger you mention due to the debris?

9. Back To Top    #9

No, in that case the restriction is due to the floor jets which is normal although 30 PSI is pretty high even for those. The issue with the filter is that when there is high restriction through the media, the pleats can potentially collapse. In most cases, they will rebound when cleaned but over time it could reduce the life of the cartridge.
    Mark