Stabilizer mystery

ggenovez

May 27, 2012
Hi all,

I had 0 for CYA last month so I purchased an 8 lbs stabilizer from leslies last month, and I had my water tested today, and I am back down to 0. Any idea where that stabilizer went?

What am I doing wrong?

Also any place cheaper to buy stabilizer?

15000 gal pool - Salt

Hi all,

I had 0 for CYA last month so I purchased an 8 lbs stabilizer from leslies last month, and I had my water tested today, and I am back down to 0. Any idea where that stabilizer went?

What am I doing wrong?

Also any place cheaper to buy stabilizer?

15000 gal pool - Salt
WalMart is the least expensive I know. Who is testing, you or the store?

store. what causes the stabilizer to be consumed?
I would bet that it is not being consumed but is right there in your pool where you put it.

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. The test they mess up the most is the CYA test

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item that you need - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Tim, you might be right, but I can also tell you that my pool does not retain chorine. It will have a greenish heu, I'll add 4 gallons of beach, it will start to go blue, and go right back to green, all within a couple of days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.