Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My TF100 came in today and here are the results. Wondering where to start.

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile My TF100 came in today and here are the results. Wondering where to start.

Tested the pool with my TF100 for the 1st time today. The numbers are:
    Salt 3600 ppm (Intex SWG recommends 3000 ppm)
    CYA 40
    FC 2ppm
    CC 0
    TA 110
    pH 8.2
    CH 475

Plugged in all the numbers in the Pool Math based on the TFPC in conjunction with the Water Balance for SWGs recommendations in the Pool School.
    I understand how to do the recommended adjustments but have a couple of questions.

1. To adjust the TA it said to lower pH to 7.0 - 7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase the pH. The only aeration that I have is pointing the discharge nozzle toward the surface of the pool, a little rain and a little pool activity; typically 3 or 4 hours a week. How long could I expect it to take to bring the pH back up to acceptable levels?

2. With my CH at 475 do I really have to be concerned with a vinyl pool?

My water is crystal clear right now as it has been since I opened the pool the 1st of the month.
    Thanks
    5200 gal, vinyl AG pool, Intex 1600 GPH pump with 14" sand filter, SWG, new 7/14, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

My TF100 came in today and here are the results. Wondering where to start.

You'll get aeration from your SWG. Don't sweat the TA. It will take care of itself by keeping PH in range. Lower the PH now with acid.
    Add some bleach to get your FC up also. 3-7 FC level for your current CYA level.
    Don't be concerned about the CH either.
    You should raise your CYA to 70-80. I would go to 70 and see how that works out. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My TF100 came in today and here are the results. Wondering where to start.

Welcome to TFP!

I can't tell you about the TA or CH, but I can tell you that some people don't mess with the TA unless it causes pH shifts often.

Also, for a CYA level of 40, the minimum FC level needs to be 3 ppm. The recommended level is 5 ppm. See this for more information.

An unbalanced pH level will cause the chlorine to not be as effective, so you should work towards bringing that down. Also, btw, if your chlorine level ever goes above ~10 ppm, th pH can read falsely high.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    You'll get aeration from your SWG. Don't sweat the TA. It will take care of itself by keeping PH in range. Lower the PH now with acid.
    Don't be concerned about the CH either.
    You should raise your CYA to 70-80. I would go to 70. ��
    Should the CYA be that high for the OP, because of his/her location? I'm wondering, because a lady at the pool store told me to keep my CYA near 90 ppm, because I'm in Florida. I just assumed she was incorrect.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

OP has a SWG. CYA level for SWG is 70-80.😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, thanks. I thought 90 ppm seemed a little high. That lady also said that CYA evaporates with the water, lol.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

90 is a bit high IMO. 50-60 in FLA. For a non SWG pool would be fine I would think. 😎
    Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

tell her to prove both her 90 recommendation and that CYA evaporates. If she can come up with any unbiased scientific data, then believe her.

for unbiased scientific on both accounts from TFPC, search the Deep End forum. Chemgeek explains it magnificently.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Oh, thanks. I thought 90 ppm seemed a little high. That lady also said that CYA evaporates with the water, lol.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all. I'll get my FC and CYA up and bring my pH down and keep an eye on everything else. This forum is great. It sure makes pool care 'Country Boy Proof'.
    5200 gal, vinyl AG pool, Intex 1600 GPH pump with 14" sand filter, SWG, new 7/14, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...+effectiveness
    With CYA in the water, chlorine's effectiveness is less dependent on pH.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Lots of peeps on here that wished that was true. Save a lot of water bills.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois