Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Invisible Slime On Walls

1. Back To Top    #1

Invisible Slime On Walls

My vinyl liner always seems to have an invisible slightly slippery coating on it. You can't see it, only feel it. If I raise the FC to shock levels, it goes away. As soon as I return to normal FC levels, it returns. I brush it away and it's back the next day. My chemistry is good
    FC 4
    CC 0
    Ch 310
    CYA 80
    PH 7.5
    Copper .3
    TA 80

Any ideas?
    16x32 IG Vinyl pool. New liner 2007. Hayward 4820 DE filter, 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflow pump, Thomsen Tec copper/silver ionization system, Taylor K-2006 test kit. Polaris 9550 pool robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Invisible Slime On Walls

It's a good indication that the fc is not being maintained sufficiently for your cyanuric acid level.

3. Back To Top    #3

That is probably some sort of invisible algae or an early stage of a bloom. How long has it been that way? As James said, your FC should be at the minimum of 6 per the chlorine/CYA chart.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

Its been this way for years. I don't want to have to maintain the pool at shock levels. I don't have any problems with algae at all. At least, not visibly. My water is pristine. People often comment on how clean it is.
    16x32 IG Vinyl pool. New liner 2007. Hayward 4820 DE filter, 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflow pump, Thomsen Tec copper/silver ionization system, Taylor K-2006 test kit. Polaris 9550 pool robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup. Your FC is too low for maintenance mode and I get the feeling you are not following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process through to completion by passing the 3 criteria.

Be forewarned that if your copper gets much higher, staining and green hair are in your future. We do not recommend the use of those systems. And the fact that you are still getting algae pretty much indicates that it is not helping you any.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yea, re-read your first post, and if it is going away at shock levels, that is more than likely an algae. What FC level do you maintain during a shock?
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

7. Back To Top    #7

Invisible Slime On Walls

Are you using liquid chlorine as your chlorine source ?
    With your current CYA level your min FC level is 6 and you should be targeting 10.
    You may want to consider lowering your CYA level a bit. For a non SWG pool your CYA level should be 30-50 ppm. High CYA level means high SLAM level FC. Yours is 31. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.