dry acid (ph minus)

Jul 28, 2014
maine
So I finally ran into a high ph issue and bought some HTH ph minus (sodium bisulfate) I read around the internet first before adding it and found everyone recommended dissolving the dry acid in a gallon bucket of pool water first. Then slowly pouring the diluted mixture into the pool around the return with the pump on.

However after i did this i happened to look at the bottle of hth ph minus and it has a huge STOP sign logo that says below "do not mix with water prior to putting in the pool" I went and found a video that hth has on the web and they want you to just lob a pile of the dry acid into your pool ?? heres the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B7dOxUj_Ng Its seems like that method would be awfully hard on my vinyl liner !!

Anyways my question is, did I screw up or should i ignore the warning from hth and continue dissolving the product first ???

I never "lob" any chemicals in my pool, even when they say to. I have an extra skimmer basket which I lined with some screen which is finer than the basket itself. I put my multiport valve in recirculate so the water doesn't go through the filter, my skimmer/bottom drain valve in the neutral position and add the chemicals through the basket. Any large clumps that don't dissolve immediately get caught in the screen, giving them a chance to further dissolve. This completely eliminates the possibility of harsh chemicals sitting on my liner.

Thanks for the help guys ! one more question, how much bleach are you guys adding per day ? and is it an issue to leave a floater with a couple 1" chlorine tabs in it and still be adding bleach daily ??

Reason i ask is thats what i've been doing because my stabilizer (cya) is low and i read the trichlor tabs add cya to the pool.. I'm too cheap to buy any more chemicals I.E. stabilizer !! So i figure leave the chlorine tabs in the floater and i add about a cup of bleach a day and that keeps me at about 3ppm free chlorine. My other levels are pretty decent 120 alkalinity, 7.6ph and 3ppm free chlorine.

my pool is 3600 gallons and to summarize the products i use in the pool is arm and hammer clear balance tablets, hth trichlor chlorine tablets, 8.25% regular bleach ! as well as baking soda to raise ph and dry acid to lower ph..

THANKS A LOT !!!!

As long as you understand what those tabs add to your pool (CYA) in addition to the chlorine, and your testing shows you have room to raise your CYA... its all good! Where folks get into trouble is when they haven't a clue what the tabs add besides the chlorine and they wake up one morning to a green pool and scratch their heads and wonder why their 3 ppm FC reading isn't cutting it anymore.
Frequent quality testing with your own test kit will keep you up and running. Just back off the tabs when your CYA level starts to approach your targeted goal.
As to the bleach question- every pool is different in that they vary in sun exposure, bather load, etc. You put in whatever amount your pool needs to maintain your targeted goal levels and not drop below them. Remember to use the Chlorine-CYA chart to guide you in finding your minimum chlorine level. You can find that chart under PoolSchool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.