Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: maintaining a Target FC above that recommended level?

1. Back To Top    #1

maintaining a Target FC above that recommended level?

I have a question about maintaining a Target FC level above that recommended per the CYA chart. Is this pointless and futile? Restated, am I wasting chlorine because there is not enough CYA to support and protect the excess?

I like to have a buffer from my Min and Target FC levels. Currently my CYA=40 which dictates Min=3 Target=5. I am considering maintaining my FC at 6 or even 7 but don't want to throw $$$ (chlorine) down the drain.

Educate me plz.
    22,000 rectangular plaster. Hayward everything on a C1750 cartridge filter and a Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Chlorine/CYA Chart

I don't think it's pointless to target above the chlorine/CYA chart. Your correct that a certain CYA level only buffers and protects a certain FC level. But a couple of ppm's above what the chart says, I think works fine.

My CYA level is 40 and I target 7 for my FC. That gives more wiggle room for FC loss so you don't fall below your min of 3. Makes sense to me. If you look at pool math it suggest's the same. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine/CYA Chart

Target FC for my pool is 6. I measure this in the evenings. I then add enough bleach to bring it up to 9 FC because I know I usually lose about 3 FC with the kids in the pool during the day.
    12' Intex Metal Frame Pool, 1500 gallons, Intex 2800gph Sand filter/pump, AquaPro PRO1100 HP, K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: maintaining a Target FC above that recommended level?

The higher you go above the recommended FC level for a given CYA, the more you will lose to the sun.

Using the above example, If the target is 6ppm and the minimum is 4ppm....
    By going up to 9ppm, they are losing 3ppm per day.
    But, if they only raised it to 7ppm, they may only lose 2.5ppm each day and still be above the minimum.
    That would lower your bleach cost by 17% just by targeting a lower FC level.

The key is staying above the minimum ... how much cushion you want is up to you and based on experimentation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chuzie View Post
    I have a question about maintaining a Target FC level above that recommended per the CYA chart. Is this pointless and futile? Restated, am I wasting chlorine because there is not enough CYA to support and protect the excess?

I like to have a buffer from my Min and Target FC levels. Currently my CYA=40 which dictates Min=3 Target=5. I am considering maintaining my FC at 6 or even 7 but don't want to throw $$$ (chlorine) down the drain.

Educate me plz.
    Targeting 6 or 7 so that you don't dip below the 3 minimum is a good idea. Trying to maintain a minimum of 6 or 7 will be a waste of money, in my opinion. Chlorine lost to the sun is a percentage, not a fixed amount. So if you raise FC higher than you need to, you'll lose more than you need to just sitting in the sun unused.

Target 6 or 6.5 or whatever it takes so that you don't dip below the minimum (plus some margin of safety) before you can test and replenish.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just learned something new!
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer