DIY Swimjet

Jul 5, 2014
nottingham , UK
I have a 12' Steel walled AGP that i am wanting to install a swim jet system into. I am installing a balboa control pack that will heat my water and also control a jet pump to power the jet. Have done a bit of research and understand how it all works but just wanted a few pointers before I take the plunge.

How many jets do I need?
Will a single 3hp pump be big enough?
Do i need to install a seperate filter inline for the jet pump?
Best position for the jets?

This is the jet I am thinking of using http://www.vortexparts.eu/product/hydroair-swim-jet seen as its the only one ive found for sale here in the uk.

Any ideas or input welcome before I buy all the equipment to do it. I will also be using this thread as a build thread for everyone to follow :)

Is this to swim against the current and or just for fun?

Yep done that aswel. Doesnt last more than a minute though lol. Ive got a balboa spa control box with heater coming that will be used to control my circ pump and some lights then I will be able to add one or two jet pumps at a later date to power my swim jet :) I can get jet pumps for £150 so shouldnt cost me too much to set it all up

First I would strongly suggest you actually swim in a pool with the system installed before installing it yourself.

All these systems require accepting compromises and you may find the compromises more than you want to make.

I doubt anyone on here can tell you whether a 3hp pump is strong enough. I would find a Swimjet installation manual and see what it requires.

You are going to be moving large volumes of water under pressure. Unbraced PVC will fail at some point. I have very serious doubts that the structure of a AG pool will support high pressure jets or volume returns. They would require careful placement and bracing separate from the pool walls. You are also going to have to add some relatively large drains to remove water.

I have never swam in one but have done work on them. The ones I work on have 2x 3hp but there big powerfull ones. The ag swim jets you can buy that hang on the side only have one 3hp pump.

With regards to the drains the swim jets I have been looking at installing actually have the inlet aroind the outside and the return in the middle but I could also look at installing some additional drains.

What sort of bracing do you suggest? Hot tubs use standard pvc pipe with 3 or sometime 5hp jet pumps and it seems to cope with that ok?

Thanks for your reply this is exactly the sort of concerns/advice I want before I take the plunge

I suggest you do lots more research from the construction of actual swim jet pools instead of relying on advice from a majority of people whom most likely have no experience in what you want to attempt. I would agree with Gwegan's remarks, a pool like this is not designed for what you want to accomplish, and will most likely structurally fail. Don't get me wrong please, it sounds like a cool idea, but with what you have now, just not feasible. Like taking a Chevy car and trying to make a submarine with it. Not saying it can't be done, but most likely not work or at least fail very shortly after.
The internet is a wonderful place to find information, just sometimes takes a lot more time than we think to find the actual info we need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you think will fail about it? The point where the jet comes through the wall? The wall opposite the jet with the water against it?
You can buy hang on the side swim jets designed for this type of pool but they look ugly and expensive so they can handle the flow, the only difference being the jet going through the wall. Could I maybe brace the wall somehow where the jet goes through?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.