I need some expert advice please as am new to pool ownership

Jul 28, 2014
Swindon, UK
Hi, I'm in the UK + in June installed a round above ground pool. Small at 12' diam 33" deep but perfect for the 2 kids.
I am struggling with clarity of water.
This evenings readings are as follows:
Free chlorine = off the scale (Less than 0) so absolutely none registering
Ph level = 7.8-8.4 ( so a little high) I only have a ph plus product so perhaps need a ph minus one.
Total Alkalinity = 180-240ppm

I have noticed in the past 24 hours it is turning green.
I put the pool solar insulating cover on the grass at the weekend and the water on it burnt a nice round yellow patch into the lawn. Which made me think that the pool might not be safe to use.
I don't have heaps of money because the pool cost quite a bit to put in but clearly I need to learn the pool chemistry and am expecting a few trial and errors...but don't want to waste money on the wrong solution to a wrongly diagnosed problem.

The pool math page is brilliant and I have learnt so much from this site over the past few weeks but I feel I am not getting it right at all. Here in the UK pools in the back yard are still very rare and so there is no neighbour or shop up the road where I can "shoot the breeze" to get some advise. I need to know which products are missing from my armory and how to use the ones that I need to purchase.

Sorry to be a bore
BowBelle

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.