Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need some expert advice please as am new to pool ownership

1. Back To Top    #1

Swindon, UK

Smile I need some expert advice please as am new to pool ownership

Hi, I'm in the UK + in June installed a round above ground pool. Small at 12' diam 33" deep but perfect for the 2 kids.
    I am struggling with clarity of water.
    This evenings readings are as follows:
    Free chlorine = off the scale (Less than 0) so absolutely none registering
    Ph level = 7.8-8.4 ( so a little high) I only have a ph plus product so perhaps need a ph minus one.
    Total Alkalinity = 180-240ppm

I have noticed in the past 24 hours it is turning green.
    I put the pool solar insulating cover on the grass at the weekend and the water on it burnt a nice round yellow patch into the lawn. Which made me think that the pool might not be safe to use.
    I don't have heaps of money because the pool cost quite a bit to put in but clearly I need to learn the pool chemistry and am expecting a few trial and errors...but don't want to waste money on the wrong solution to a wrongly diagnosed problem.

The pool math page is brilliant and I have learnt so much from this site over the past few weeks but I feel I am not getting it right at all. Here in the UK pools in the back yard are still very rare and so there is no neighbour or shop up the road where I can "shoot the breeze" to get some advise. I need to know which products are missing from my armory and how to use the ones that I need to purchase.

Sorry to be a bore

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: I need some expert advice please as am new to pool ownership

Welcome to TFP!!!

Honestly, you are probably better off with no shop to talk to about the pool now that you found us

You are a good candidate to use the Temporary Pool Guide in Pool School. Here is the link:

Read that and follow up with questions.

Likely it is easier to drain and start over with that process than it is to clear up the pool without one of the Recommended Test Kits with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!