Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If I get a SI reading close to zero - does anything further need to be done?

1. Back To Top    #1

If I get a SI reading close to zero - does anything further need to be done?

Hi,

Sorry for so many threads and questions, but I'm really trying to learn as much about all this as I can. Right now my SI is at -0.14. Isn't that pretty well balanced? Someone recently here told me the SI calculator is my "good friend" and so that's why I'm wondering. The closer to zero, the better, right? I've got a TA of 110, pH of 7.4, and CH of 170. It would seem that I'm at a pretty good balance point. Suggestions?

Thanks....
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If I get a SI reading close to zero - does anything further need to be done?

Unless you live in a part of the country with extremely hard water, as long as you keep within the TFP recommended ranges, you're fine.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: If I get a SI reading close to zero - does anything further need to be done?

Your water is fine. Any SI water between -0.3 and +0.5 is considered ideal for plaster pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I am encouraged by everyone who has been so helpful here. I wish I would have started paying more attention to this site years ago.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit