Is a check or a stop valve needed?

Mar 7, 2014
Illinois
We had our first above ground pool installed by a local dealer this spring. A 24ft Doughboy with a Poweline XP 1.5 HP Pump and ECO Cartridge Filter. When I try to clean out the filter basket on the pump the water flow does not stop. Per our dealer I should be able to turn off the pump, plug up the skimmer and no water should flow from the filter to the pump. That's definitely not the case. The water is flowing from the filter to the pump. Should the dealer have installed a check or a stop valve to prevent this. The dealer is not being very helpful and pleading stupidity.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well you certainly need something on the return pipe to prevent the water from flowing backward. A check valve would work or just put a shutoff valve. I think many people put shut off valves on the suction and the return line so they can open up the pump/filter.

Or just stick something in your eyeball! :whip: .

It's common practice in some places to not install valves at all. I don't necessarily disagree with that until you need one. I have valves, but have toyed with the idea of removing them to lessen the restriction they induce. If you have a couple of those foam splash toys that's large enough that they can't get stuck in the pipe, you could just use them to plug the skimmer and return. You could also unscrew the eyeball fitting and screw a 1½" PVC threaded plug in there.

My parents have a 24' Doughboy and they don't have a check valve before the pump. When we clean the pump basket we put the skimmer plate in which is used for cleaning and plug the cleaner hose into the hole below the skimmer and keep the hose out of the pool. Water still comes out of the pump basket but not as bad after doing this. Make sure to unplug the cleaning hose right away so not to accidentally start a siphon. Works for their setup.

Thank you all for the information!! We will just have to plug up the skimmer and return. I wasn't sure if the installer had omitted the valve and there was undue pressure on the pump, but now I know that it is not necessary.

This site has been great! We've used the BBB method and our water is crystal clear!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.