Turn ozone generator on/off with pump schedule

JSlabotsky

Jul 28, 2014
Piedmont, OK
Hello all, hopefully this question hasn't been answered a million times already. I did try to search. Our IG vinyl pool was just finished. We have a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and I'm pretty happy with it. The builder "threw in" an UltraPure UPP25 ozone generator. However, they didn't bother installing any kind of a timer control. They want me to run the pump 24x7 and leave the O3 on all the time as well. Using the default speeds, they recommended speed 3 (3110 RPM, I think) during the daytime and speed 1 (750 RPM) at night to eliminate noise. (The equipment is right by the master bedroom.)

I have two problems with this approach. First, it's going to wear out the ozone lamp a lot faster. Second, after doing a lot of reading I'm starting to get the impression we don't really need to run the pump this much, especially on days we don't swim. So I'd rather be able to program the pump to shut off completely some of the time and trigger the O3 generator to come on at the same time.

So.. is there a way to trigger power to the UltraPure only when the pump is actually running? Or am I stuck putting on a separate timer?

I'm about to start a home automation project. So I plan on looking at system controllers. Perhaps there is one that can control both my pump and power to the O3 generator?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not sure the builder did you an favors adding the ozone ... it will actually consume some of your chlorine so will infact cost you more in FC and electricity to run the thing. TFP does not recommend the use of Ozone or UV systems in residential, low use, outdoor pools.

There is no way you need to run the pump 24/7 and likely never need to be running above 2000/2500 RPM. The most efficient speed is actually 1000 RPM.

You could look into current sensing relays to turn the ozone on only when the pump is running. Some members do that for SWG systems. Or you could remove the ozone completely or just leave it off.

I suggest you take a look at Pool School, specifically the ABCs of Water Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool so you start to learn how to maintain your pool.

Thanks for the info. I have been concerned about electricity use. It won't break my heart just to turn the thing off. One thing I'm annoyed at is the electrician wired the O3 and the pool light to the same switch. The light has its own switch/control panel downstream from the electrician's switch, but the O3 does not. So any time I have the light on, the O3 generator is on too. Will have to see about changing that.

I get the impression the consensus is that many pool dealers want you to over filter and over treat the water, rather than simply be smart about it. Is that accurate? I just remember when I was a kid we had a 1-speed pump and we really only ran it a few hours a day unless we were swimming.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.