Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused...

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused...

I have had AGP for 3 years now and after a bumpy start to pool ownership, this site has helped me out greatly!
    This year however, I have some very weird things going on in pool - which I haven't had in past.

I have Intex 18'x52" agp w/ their swg and a sand filter, etc. (all details in sig). I use the SWG and then add liquid chlorine if it drops, etc. This year, everything had been fine. Test often w/ TF-100 kit. My CYA was a little bit low (15 ish) even though I had added enough to bring it to about 40 (per pool calc), but I made sure to stay on top of FC and keep it 3-5 range. Couple of weeks ago, GREEN/CLOUDY! Ugh - so SLAM process started. It cleared was passing OCLT, no problem. I did add small amount of clarifier from Leslies. Got CYA ramped up to ~40. I know recommended is a bit higher for SWG, but I didn't want to over-do it.

Pool was fine for 2 weeks - clear all tests good (Chlorine ~ 5 w/ OTO test).
    We had people coming over on Saturday, so Friday, I added 8 oz of dichlor to boost up chlorine and CYA - should have raised by about 4.5 and 4.1 respectively. Good. Saturday afternoon CL had drifted down a bit before everybody came over and pool was clear and nice for people swimming. Saturday night - pool started looking cloudy.

I tested water and FC was at 7 CC - 0. However, I figured if it's cloudy, I might as well get on top of it. Raised chlorine to 20 (figuing that the CYA had been raised some by dichlor and should be about 45ish). Tested again Sunday noon-ish and was down to about 18, added liquid chlorine to boost to 20. Checked again last night and this AM and hadn't lost any FC.

Any idea what's going on here??? It seems that I have maintained proper FC levels to prevent algae, but it seems that something is wrong. Passed OCLT this AM, but so confused.

Using the TF-100, which is about 3 yrs old now, but from what I measure on there and add w/ pool calc, it seems to be accurate.

I am just confused. Thoughts?

Pool comes down every winter and packed away until spring.
    Pool: Intex AGP - Round 18' x 52"
    6981 gallon - per their documentation
    2650 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex Krystal Clear SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused...

It is not uncommon for the water to get a little cloudy after heavy use. Sounds like you have a good understanding by bumping up the FC before and after the party.

Did I miss your specific concern?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a small pool and after a party my water is always cloudy even though the chlorine level is fine. I just run the pump a little longer than normal and it is clear and sparkly the next day.
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess my specific concern was that the cloudiness was the start of something - but heavy use makes sense.

This is the first year I've had any issues w/ algae / green pool syndrome, so I thought maybe I was missing something. I will just keep an eye on things.
    Thanks for the input!
    Pool: Intex AGP - Round 18' x 52"
    6981 gallon - per their documentation
    2650 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex Krystal Clear SWG