Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should the TA be for a newly plastered pool...plus a few other questions

1. Back To Top    #1

What should the TA be for a newly plastered pool...plus a few other questions

Hi,

In a previous thread I raised some questions about keeping down the TA and pH in my replastered pool. I'd like to check on what the TA should actually be. The reason I ask this is that my pool store has always suggested a range of 125-150, which my plasterer told me is actually a bit on the high side. I've read on other sites where it should be 80-120. Which is the better range? And should the TA be adjusted higher once the plaster cures over the coming weeks?

One other question I have is - should the balancing be adjusted differently for when the pool is closed over winter? Or should TA and Calcium hardness be pretty much the same as during the swimming season?

Thanks.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should the TA be for a newly plastered pool...plus a few other questions

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What should the TA be for a newly plastered pool...plus a few other questions

Thanks but the info on that link really doesn't answer my questions. The only mention of any TA number is for a bicarbonate start-up and suggests 100-350.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you are doing a bicarbonate startup you can pretty much ignore TA for the first month or so. TA will be going up as the plaster cures, and get lowered back down as you add acid to keep the PH under control. The net effect is that TA usually ends up right about where it should be at the end of the first month. In any case, you adjust TA to the normal range at the end of the first month and maintain it normally from there.

The important thing with fresh plaster is to keep the PH in range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I recommend a high TA (Bicarb start-up) for the first month as the best approach for newly plastered pools, including quartz and pebble.
    But after one month, lower and maintain the TA between 80 to 120 ppm for best balance and ease of maintenance.

Edit: Written without seeing JL response.