Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Candidate for Clairifier?

1. Back To Top    #1

Candidate for Clairifier?

Hello all:

I've been using the TFPC method since we got out pool 5 years ago. No algae, no problems, everything is good.

been having a slight problem thees past few months. My water is not as clear as it typically is. Generally I can see very clearly a coin on the bottom of the 6' deep end. While I can still see a coin, there is a slight haze to the water that I just cannot get rid of.

Here are my readings from yesterday (TF-100)...

FC: 6.5
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 60
    CYA: 50
    CH: 230
    Salt: about 3500 (this is the one test I had done at the pool store)

I did have a slightly functioning salt cell which I recognized very early on and augmented with 8.25% bleach until this weekend when my new cell was installed. New cell is working fine and verified by testing a few hours after installation with a TF-100 test.

Aside from that, everything seems well and good except for the "polish" that I am accustomed to.

Might I be a candidate for clairifier? I have never added anything to the pool aside from the TFPC ingredients, so adding something our of my norm has me questioning.

Thanks!
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Candidate for Clairifier?

Since when did this hazy problem begin? Do you remember what, if any, chemicals you added right before that?

I'm no expert on SWGs, but I see you do have a cartridge filter. Have you replaced those filters in the last 5 years? If not, they could be nearing the end of their lifetimes.

Your test results look fine to me. I would not add any clarifiers or any chemicals until you know what exactly is going on.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I notices the slight haze about a month ago.

No odd additions. Just added CYA, and calcium using the ingredients I have used for the past 5 seasons.

Cart was cleaned at opening (well it was cleaned and soaked from last year) and cleaned again earlier this season. Cart is only 1 yr old.

Pressure is up in the range for cleaning again so that is on tap for next weekend. I also use a skimmer sock to pre-filter pollen etc before it hist the cart and that gets emptied every AM.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct me if I'm wrong, you have a vinyl liner? If so, for what reason did you add calcium? I've heard that adding calcium can cloud up a pool a bit.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd suggest shutting off your swg and running an OCLT just to rule out something organic. If you pass that with flying colors then maybe try a dose of clarifier.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

yardoasis: Fiberglass - I added the CH to keep it in range just to be safe even though it most likely does not matter.

bama: I was considering that to be a good middle step and double check just to be sure. Depending on weather, I will get to that tonight.
    Jim

7. Back To Top    #7

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...rine-generator Try raising your CYA to 70, which is where it should be for a salt water pool. According to Pool School, this can help with cloudy water. My water looks better at 70.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Just keep in mind if you do use clarifier it isn't one of those "if a little is good a lot has to be better" things. Follow the instructions and err on the side of caution.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

OCLT from yesterday

night
    TC = 7.0
    CC = 0.0

morning
    TC = 5.5
    CC = 0.0

but...... CC turned less clear, not really pink. a drop cleared it up again. So somewhere less than 0.5 CC if that is possible )

SLAM time or not??
    Jim

10. Back To Top    #10

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

SLAM away.