Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Regular Home Tankless Water Heater to heat pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto, ON, Canada

Regular Home Tankless Water Heater to heat pool?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to heat the pool water with a regular tankless water heater used in homes? I was thinking I could just plumb it with the correct valves to either heat house water or the pool and use the pool pump to pump the water through the heater.

What do you think? Is this a really dumb idea?

Nevermind, I found this:

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Regular Home Tankless Water Heater to heat pool?

I'd mostly be concerned about the number of BTUs that tankless heater is capable of. Wouldn't be worth it if it is a low number and you have to run it for a week solid to get 5 degrees out of the pool temperature rise.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Orange County, California

I would make sure that your pump doesn't exceed the water heater's max flow rate. My Noritz Tankless water heater is rated at 8.4 gal/min max while my pump can move lots more water.
    I'd also be conserned about running pool water through part of your drinking water plumbing.
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Home water heaters are not designed to handle the chemical levels in pool water nor the flow rates used with swimming pools. They are also normally way too small for use with a swimming pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School