Is heating practical?

JWhite

Apr 30, 2014
Atlanta
I'm considering getting solar panels, and wonder if trying to heat our 24' x 52" round AGP is practical. Not sure how many or what size panels. Not sure how long they would extend my swimming season, or if there is an affordable year-round option. I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions. I'm in metro Atlanta, and use the pool primarily as a therapy pool.

Yes, heating your pool can be practical. It's just the method that can be a pain in the back or wallet.

Solar panels can be had for $100-150 for a 4x20. You would need 50-75% of your pool surface area to be effective.

Natural gas, depending on your local price per therm (thousand BTU), can be the next least expensive, with propane running a bit higher.

If you have a source of free wood, and are willing/able to apply sweat equity can be an option. The commercially made units are a bit pricey. Note: I built one. Not very efficient, but gets the job done.

For your pool and location, a 100,000 BTU/hr unit would work, I think. Unless you are wanting to try to keep the pool open year round.

Others will probably weigh in on this. Good luck!

We just have a 16ft Ultra frame and have the two Eco Saver panels and they work awesome. The combination of the panels, foam under the pool and clear solar blanket have made a BIG difference over the first year. We live near Vancouver B.C. I would go with more Eco Saver panels, so maybe four which would be two orders? You need to make sure that your pump HP is enough to take the extra load it takes to circulate through the panels.

I had the solar panels on a 24' x 52" pool in Pittsburgh. The water coming out of the solar panels can get hot enough to burn you!!!! I imagine in Atlanta it can get way hotter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.