Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding acid without pump on myth

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Adding acid without pump on myth

Split by moderator from HERE as it perpetuates a myth and contradicts with our teachings. jblizzle

Shut off your pump and let the water go still. In the deepest area of the pool add muriatic acid in a steady pour to create a column of acid in the pool. This will eat up alkalinity and lower the ph. If you have a plaster pool do this over the main drains, if it is shallow pour several columns around perimeter an arms length from the wall. Acid is heavier than water and too much too fast could hit the bottom of the pool depending on depth. Wait about 5 minutes and turn the pumps back on. Wait for the water to stir a bit then test again. Always seems to work for me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding acid without pump on myth

See the threads The Myth of Adding Acid, Acid column myth, and Acid Columning. It is simply not true that the way you add acid has ANY different effect on the amount that TA is lowered. TA is ALWAYS lowered by exactly the same amount based on the amount of acid you add and has absolutely, positively nothing to do with how you add the acid. Adding 25-1/2 fluid ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) to 10,000 gallons of pool water lowers the Total Alkalinity (TA) by 10 ppm no matter how you add it. However, adding it in one place with the pump not running can damage the plaster and is completely irresponsible.

What is true is that both aeration and an overall low pH increase the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing and this removal of carbon dioxide raises the pH with no change in TA. So a combination of aeration and acid addition, especially when done at low pH, results in the most efficient way to lower TA and to do so without risking damaging of plaster surfaces.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ok so. Aeration/acid addition + low ph = Off gassing which raises pH and lowers alkalinity.

Tgis is going to take me a minute I have to forget pieces of incorrect information and then learn what is correct.

-:-:-:-: Scrambled:-:-:-:-

pool- adj. A hole of any variois size that you throw stacks of 20.00 bills into

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by LeimLife View Post
    pool- adj. A hole of any variois size that you throw stacks of 20.00 bills into
    I use the methods here and that is simply not true. I have an 18,000 gallon pool and we spend about $10-12 a week in chemicals. You will find many people here that spend a minimal amount on their pool. I understand you learned from a different teaching but take some time to read pool school if your not closed minded. No one is perfect but there are some smart and helpful people on this forum.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

pool store- noun, A hole of any various size that you throw stacks of 20.00 bills into

That's more my experience.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons