Choosing a new pump

Jul 24, 2014
Miami, FL
Long time lurker.

You can see my specs in my signature. My primary filter pump died and the spa pump is older than the filter pump and leaks. Both pumps must be at least 20 years old if not older. I am considering replacing both pumps with a single Pentair 3HP Intelliflow VS. I realize that it is over powered for my current situation, but I plan to add SWG, solar panels, and water features in the future with automation for the valves and pump. I currently clean with the side suction manually, but will add a cleaner like the Zodiac MX8 or Hayward XL also. I am also considering a switch to sand or DE for the filter.

All of the plumbing is 2inch schedule 40. I realize that replumbing is required and that does not bother me. I will be installing everything myself.

Energy prices are low in South Florida. I can get the 3HP Intelliflow pump for $900. Would I be better off with a 2 speed pump? If so, which one? If the price difference is negligible, I am inclined to go with the Intelliflow due to its VS and automation capabilities.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mike and welcome to TFP.

Lets :bump: this to get some answers.

I will give you my opinion on filters... go with DE! :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP!

Your mind appeared pretty made up, so no point in debating. If you think you need flexibility, then a VS pump is the right choice.

Btw, chlorine prevents algae, not the pump. I went 2 weeks in the AZ summer with no pump by just maintaining proper FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.